Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: What's "Bristol glass"?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: What's "Bristol glass"?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 08:30:42 AM »
Yeah, as if you invented glass!  I suppose you invented the wheel, too? ;D
Yup!  Sure did!  ;D

We caught up quick, though.  The best of our ABP beats the pants off anything you guys did for rich cut. ;) ;D  That could have been a style thing...  I just heard someone say that at the time the British despised American Brilliant glass because it was gaudy.  Is that true?  That would explain why the super sparkly never caught on in Europe at the time.

I thought it was because of the glass tax that all the best cutters left the UK and went to America?  >:D
Leni

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
Actually, my impression is that it was because of higher wages here (part of what made a tariff necessary to compete with the Europeans), but you make a good point.  From Sinclaire and Spillman's The Complete Cut and Engraved Glass of Corning:  "The 1880 census showed that 22 of Corning's 40 glass cutters had been born in Europe, 21 of them in England or Ireland."  That's an early census, though.  By 1905 there were 490 cutters and 33 engravers in Corning.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
Just to add to the breadth of the actual makers of modern Bristol Blue (catalogue 1977) by Thomas Webb & Sons, in the blurb they credit the colours to  being imported from Saxony. Bristol Blue, Bristol Green and Bristol Amethyst. They state these were originally made in Bristol in the 18th and 19th centuries. All labelled as Bristol Glass.  ::)
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
I got Bedford's Bristol and Other Coloured Glass and had to laugh at the first sentence in the intro, "'Bristol' is probably the most richly misused word in glass fancying."
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com