No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gallé or not Gallé  (Read 7400 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Gallé or not Gallé
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »
Can anybody shed light on the reaction to this book. Or is it just a case of the normal way of doing things where the designer did not make his own glass.

Traub, Jules S. (1978), "The Glass of Desire Christian - Ghost For Galle": 143 pages b/w colour.

Abstract:
Monograph and detailed study on Burgun, Schverer & Co. Verreries de Meisenthal (1711-1969), during the period Désiré Jean Baptiste Christian worked for them (from 1888) as chief decorator producing the glass signed Gallé. - ISBN Number: 0932988016. Editions/printings: .

I would like to use any such comment to add to the bibliography extract.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Gallé or not Gallé
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
The relationship between Gallé, Burgun Schverer et Cie, & Désiré Christian is described in Arwas (1996) The Art of Glass, pp. 19-26. (see Here) Sadly no direct reference is given but Traub’s work is not included in the bibliography.

Arwas suggests that Désiré Christian was to work 'in accordance with with Gallé's specific and detailed drawings, moulds and instructions.' (Arwas 1996, p.22). I would have thought this to be fairly normal prcatice, particularly, as, according to Arwas, Gallé had had a relationship with Meisenthal dating back to 1864.

Offline Galle

• Members
Re: Gallé or not Gallé
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »
I have both books, but I haven't read the Desire Christian one yet. I'll check back with you when I have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand