No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: confirmation of seguso  (Read 1624 times)

Offline shopaholic

• Members
confirmation of seguso
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »
Hello! i'm new to the forum and to the world of Murano. I recently decided to plunge headfirst into collecting (after some minor research) :-[ and bought this bowl which i was told is Seguso. I am not convinced- did Seguso use labels like this? I am only familiar with the red scalloped edge ones from other posts. Any ideas on age and value?? Thoughts appreciated....

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: confirmation of seguso
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:43:29 AM »
Hello! i'm new to the forum and to the world of Murano. I recently decided to plunge headfirst into collecting (after some minor research) :-[ and bought this bowl which i was told is Seguso. I am not convinced- did Seguso use labels like this? I am only familiar with the red scalloped edge ones from other posts. Any ideas on age and value?? Thoughts appreciated....

I think we can definitely say Murano, but as to a maker....?

Carolyn

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
I would call it "generic" Murano glass. That term is used to describe items that cannot be attributed to an important maker. I would say it's from the 60's or so, and the value (on ebay) would probably be around $20.
Shannon

Offline shopaholic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
HHmmmm...in that case i paid tooo much :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[......

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
That's too bad, but it does happen. Were you buying it for resale, or for your own enjoyment? You must have liked it enough to pay the price you did...? If you derive pleasure from it, I'd say that's what really matters.  :)

If you want to get a good idea for values, try searching completed items on ebay. You can sort by highest price. Prices vary wildly for Murano glass on ebay, but I'd say overall you can get a good idea for the types of pieces that are most desirable to collectors.

Try not to get discouraged! I think just about everyone pays too much at one time or another.
Shannon

Offline shopaholic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:25 AM »
Thanks Shannon!
I'm  not planning on reselling it, and i do like it. I just love antiques in general, and all things italian. I was excited at the idea of the combination of both i guess!
I must admit i did think it would be older than 60's- something i remember reading somewhere about paper labels being used in older items??? I'm not sure- but it is a fun learning curve :D
I have just bought a "Fratelli Toso" ::) urn/vase......we'll see if i was more successful this time eh!- ill post it when it arrives and see what happens (I paid much less this time around too ;))
Janine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand