No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Charger/Lid? - ID = Czechoslovakian, Carl Stölzle und Sohne, Hermanshütte  (Read 8932 times)

Sklounion

Re: (Unusual) Green Charger / Lid? Uranium or not?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 07:02:26 AM »
Hi, re-visiting Pamela's cheese plate and lid....
Speculation over. Czechoslovakian, Carl Stölzle und Sohne, Hermanshütte, pattern number 18948.
Only the cheese plate and lid, and a jardiniere, appear to have been in production until @ 1958.
Probably all other pieces were in the inter-war, or early post-war catalogues.
In the inter-war period, probably imported by Weiss and Biheller, in London.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 12:37:54 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Everybody for all of that information.....what lovely people you are, sharing your knowledge and expertise, so generous.....I am overwhelmed :).  I have looked through all the files as well, so thanks for those too :-*
I realise now that there is a lot more to collect, so bootfairs, glass fairs and eBay, look out, rosieposie's about! ;D
Now, do I stick to green or do I start on other colours......my sister has some of the blue???????
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Sklounion

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
If you wanted one of those, that would be just the thing.... in green, blue, amber, amethyst, lilac, turquoise, rosalin, topaz etc ;D ;D
Regards,
Marcus

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
Marcus!!  Now you are just teasing me, surely! :o  Is it really available in ALL those colours??  I have seen amber, blue, pink, and of course, my green, but AMETHYST!  Wow!! Is there a site I can visit to see all these colours? What is the difference between amber and topaz in colour?  Is rosalin the pink colour?  And what colour is 'etc'????
It is lovely to have the name of it.....one piece I bought, it was labelled 'Viking Boat', alluding to it being scandinavian, how about that! But 'Square Eye' is perfect......have you got any to sell??

About my Dad's mantra....well he was a collector of all that was strange and unusual, and if I asked him, "What's that Dad?", he would always reply....."Not too sure, but, if you wanted one of those, that would be just the thing!"  It was years before I enjoyed the subtlety of the saying, and I still use it today!
Rosie.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »
Thank you Marcus, wonderful info!  :hiclp:
Just a question - the pattern was definitely copied by Crown Crystal in Australia - I have good evidence that they ordered moulds in the pattern. Could you look at the pictures in my earlier post and see whether you agree with that I've claimed to be Australian are? Would it help if I sent you scans of what I have? They're copyrighted to someone else, so they can't be published here or elsewhere. Thanks again  :-*

Sklounion

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »
Hi,
I may gently be teasing.... but...
Carl Stölzle und Sohne, Hermanshütte, are known to have produced items in all these colours.
I have none to sell, indeed, I am desperately looking for kind souls who, copyright acknowledged, are prepared to supply hi-res images of items, for the data-base.
Rosalin is pink, topaz is a smokey colour. etc = exceptionally today's colour will be.... ;D ;D
Nowt wrong with your Dad's mantra, so long as long as he is not Henry Ford, "You can have any colour you like, as long as it is black" ;D ;D
He should have owned Rosice....
Cathy, yes please... It was a fluke, I was able to id this pattern, as I explained to Pamela, earlier.
Can you please indicate, from what year CC started to produce this pattern? By chance, it was 1939?
Regards,
Marcus

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »
Well Marcus, if you tell me how I do High resolution pics, I will do them for you.  Most of mine have little square 'feet' at the corners of the foot, so they stand proud of the table.

Dad's name was Henry, but not Ford!

A couple of my pieces came fron Australia (eBay!)......I thought I was bringing them 'home'!

Cheers and thanks for all the helpful info. :)
Rosie.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »
Hi Marcus, Rosie!

Marcus, the side lever gear for the first of these patterns was ordered between 28 June 36 and 8 July 36. (!) I'm not sure how long it would take for the finished product to arrive in the shops after that date.

Dome footed vases, 8" and 4", a non-footed salad like the one in the back here, and non-footed 'nappies' (Crown's term for what Americans call a 'berry bowl' and Aussies called a 'sweets bowl'), were all ordered on 28 June 36. The 'footed sundae' with a catalogue number of 1251, and a rose bowl 1228/9 were ordered on 8 July. Some of the forms had been torn from the records, so there may have been more as well.

Might this suggest an earlier date for the Hermanshütte production?

Crown used to pay someone to travel around Europe picking up interesting patterns for copying (information again from Tariff Hearing files). This is why Crown's Grimwade Crystal tends to look like Inwald or Webb made years earlier.

Rosie, do you have a record of which pieces you bought from Australia? In general, the Australian ones appear mostly in clear, green and amber - I've never seen any in the Australian blues, emerald green, citron or any of the other obviously Australian colours, but it wouldn't surprise me if something turned up one day. There are plenty of the Hermanshütte pattern here as well, so some of them might have been going home, to the Northern Hemisphere, anyway. :) Love your collection, by the way!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 07:33:12 AM »
I have been looking through the records for my green 'Squared Eye' glass, (How lovely to have a name to put to it!) to see what had come from Australia, and it seems it was a large bowl....funnily it is slightly deeper and more rotund than the other two large bowls, and a little batch of three small bowls as well.  Some of the small bowls are marginally flatter and wider than most of them, and it might have been those, but I can't be sure.  I think one of the medium size flat plates came from Australia, but I can't be certain.

I was pipped to the post the other night for a beautiful arch footed plate in this pattern. The winner was someone in Australia, was that you Cathy B? >:D  If it was, enjoy!  I am as green as the glass plate with envy!!
Thank you for the kind words about the collection :)......I love it and use it a lot. What items do you have in your set?  Have you got any of the small flat side plates?  That is the one piece that I never seem to see for sale.
There is an interesting variation on a theme on eBay at the moment, item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160270125814
Have a look, it is in amber and is in Australia.  There is also a green glass bowl coming up, and I have just bought a pink set! Now I know it comes in other colours, I suppose I will have to have them all!
Rosie.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
No, it wasn't me - I'm busy being completely skint at the moment after spending way too much on damaged Carnival glass, and other tuition pieces* :) Mind you, I probably know the buyer!

Rosie, the piece you link to is a shape I'm very familiar with. Crown called it a rose bowl, and it turns up in Australia inn two very slightly different shapes - the one shown, and one with the tabs more flared. I have both versions, including one which I bought from the UK. My guess is that the one shown is Australian and the vase with the more flared shape, which has slightly better lines and is more elegant, is the Stölzle.

Mod: Spelling corrected.  :P

My camera has died  :cry: otherwise I'd get a photograph comparing the two.

(*Tuition glass = glass you buy because you want to learn something, not because you actually want them...Alternatively, the junk glass you buy out of compulsion, just to teach you to be more choosy in the future.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand