Author Topic: Meri Lasi Finnish Glass (Muurla Lasi)  (Read 11788 times)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Meri Lasi Finnish Glass (Muurla Lasi)
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 02:30:14 PM »
OK everyone, I give in re centrifugal casting.  That will teach me to comment on anything less than forty years old!

Adam D.

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »
Nigel Benson in Miller's Glass of the '50s & '60s wrote:

"Fuga" bowl by Sven Palmquist
... The idea for his design dates back to 1934 ... because of resistance within Orrefors to machine-made products, the series was not produced until 1954, and then to international acclaim.   The glass is spun centrifugally, so that it is forced up the sides of the mould evenly, resulting in consistent quality and thickness. ...

Despite the incredible quality of this glass it is not a commercial proposition.   I bought a 1+4 fruit set in amber Fuga over a year ago, and it has attracted no interest whatsoever — just taking up costly stand space.   Accordingly I took the set last week to my local general auction, where it will be sold, together with a few other mistakes, at the end of the month.   Flogging deceased equines was at the back of my mind!

I think it is beautiful and have rarely seen such perfection in glass.

Bernard C.  8)

ps – if anyone is interested, I will post auction details up on Glass Garage Sale. Let me know.
Text and Images Copyright 200414 Bernard Cavalot

Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 05:41:44 PM »
Its really originally Orrefors technique. But Baccarat use it for some of their massive vases and Dartington used to use it quite a lot. Those star shaped bowls by dartington are centrifuged. Always wanted to have a go! Adam A

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com