No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Owens-Illinois  (Read 2943 times)

Sklounion

Owens-Illinois
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:32:46 PM »
Has any-one else noticed the regularly recurring demise of domestic, pressed glass, when the above company takes a majority share-holding? Ravenhead, Sklo Union, etc?
OK, we know they are a container glass co, but, do they have no soul?
Regards,
Le Casson

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Owens-Illinois
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 05:38:45 AM »
I think they supplied the production machinery and therefore are automatically involved (finance, repo) if a company fails. OI is not a raider that creeps up on unsuspecting glass industries to pull the chair from underneath - at least I don't think so....
http://www.o-i.com/ggt/overview.asp

Sklounion

Owens-Illinois
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 07:24:35 AM »
Thanks Ivo,

It would be interesting to know where the moulds go. Moulds from Inwald/Sklo Union at Teplice will have been split with Libochovice, Hermanova and Rosice, when the pressing shop, (Rudolfova) closed.

I guess many others will just have been scrapped.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Owens-Illinois
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 08:20:38 AM »
OI are a large corporation with a primary duty to shareholders, this includes buying up competition and moving production to a cheaper location. We should not allow emotion to get in the way here this is how our society stays ahead in a competitive marketplace.

Glass is from a commercial perspective no different to any other product.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand