No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance or (No Chance)  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Chance or (No Chance)
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
Hi Memebers
                  Would these handkerchiefs i found today be by chance bros? if so when and is there a name for the different patterns and colours, the large one is 7ins to the tip of the handkerchief, 9ins wide where they turn in on them selfs, i have put the picture's of the small one's with this post so there are not 3 post's going at the same time, about handkerchiefs.

The small ones are 4is in hight to the tips and 4.5ins wide, being that they are both the same measurements i presume that they are made in a mould? how many colours did they come in,
                                                         steve

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Chance or (No Chance)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »

Hi Steve,

Might I recommend David's fabulous book............ Chance Expressions, which is really easy to buy here: http://www.chanceglass.net/pages/index.html
It is well worth investing in, and not expensive either  ;D
You can read reviews on his book here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19525.0.html
It really is worth investing in a few good glassy books  ;)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »

.......but, until you get a couple of books, Steve:
No.1 Gingham, introduced in 1978.
No.2 Cordon, introduced in 1961.
No.3 Polka Dot, introduced in 1974.

All info available in the above mentioned book......  :D ;D ;)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
Cheers Della.
                  Just saw some on ebay, did'nt realize there were so many different types and colours also size's

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »
Steve you'd be astounded how many variations there are. In the book David does a chart with all the size and colour variations that were made - if you had one of each you'd need to find lots more shelf space! :) (I'll second Della's recommendation to buy David's book too - as it covers so much, not just the hankie vases, but also all the slumped and pressed glass production - hundreds of pieces are identified and it will really get you clued up what to look out for from Chance.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:47:08 AM »
Thanks both.

The 7in. model is also quite scarce.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
Hi David
           I picked up those 3 hankie vases at local charity shop nice buy,only £5.25 for all of them, while out today i came across this hankie didn,t think it was worth starting another post, can you remember about a wk ago i said i saw a black one, well this is it.

Solid black with white dot's spaced evenly round the vase, it stand 5ins to the tip of the top, and is 6.1/4 ins at the wide'st point, a little bit thicker than the other ones, who would have made this hankie? look like i am collecting handkychiefs  now,
                                                                                                                                     steve

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »
As mentioned in an earlier post, these are Bagley Jetique in the Polka-dot pattern. These are not necessarily "slumped glass", as they were forced over a mould, so I'm not sure if they qualify for inclusion here. Much of Bagley is pressed glass.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Thank you David for the quick reply, i will be keeping my eye out in future for more hankie's now i know there are so many, and intend to purchase your book in the next few days,
                                                      Steve

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
OK, I look forward to receiving the order. However, I would refrain from buying just any old handkerchief vase as some do not have a fantastic reselling price. The book will show you which are the best ones to look out for.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand