No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be Argos?  (Read 4835 times)

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
Could this be Argos?
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »
I have been searching for my unknown pieces and I think maybe this one is the Argos pattern.  Could it be?
It has the rings on the bottom and the darts on the sides.  Nice silveroverlay on this piece.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
Re: Could this be Argos?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »
I was thinking this looked like the argos design by Schrotter that I found.
Janice, Deco Queen

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
Hi,
I'm sorry I have no record of such an item being part of the Argos range, as made by Inwald, and designed, as you rightly say, by Rudolf Schrotter.
Probably a similar item from another manufacturer, but again, I have nothing in my data-base for a Czech company.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »
I am accumulating a long list of items which seem to be Argos, but do NOT appear in the documentation I have been able to access.
It's very easy to imagine that the pattern was copied by another factory. But I'd still like to try some detailed documentation by collecting and swapping information, i.e. a list of items which match Argos but not necessarily made by Sklo.

Here's my latest finds! :)
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »
Jay,
Argos 2 is right, and Inwald, can't find Argos 1 or Argos 3, in the database....
Two problems I have with Janice's item are the handles... stylistically not right, and the repeated pattern.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »
Yes, I understand Marcus,
It does seem unlikely in isolation, the repeat pattern, but I think we have to consider that it was to hold a milk and sugar as shown below. The single circle design would then have looked rather odd! I enclose an image which includes (correct?!) the milk and sugar.

Argos 1 of my images would appear to be the underside of the butter dish. Not sure whether the ring motief was on the lid as well! (When will I find one!!!!??)

Argos 3 of mine DOES have the correct handle style so seems to be 'valid'?! (albeit uncatalogued)

(In one of my dreams I remember seeing a square version of this tray! )

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
Sorry I didn't add the measurements to mine!  It is 12 5/8" end to end, 6 1/2" wide, and 1 1/4" deep it is divided into 3 sections so it's a relish tray.

Thanks,
Janice
Janice, Deco Queen

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
I'm going to add this picture to the discussion.

A long tray clearly showing three repeats of the circle in order to accomodate the three items on the tray.

Sorry for being difficult Marcus, but do we really think that this is a TOTALLY different pattern? or are we talking 'later additions' to the catalogue listed items?

Amongst this weekend's treasure, three more Argos items including a divided oblong dish in fumi just like the basic form of the one shown at the beginning of this thread. Its handles seem to match the tray shown here?!

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
OK Jay,
your evidence is pretty convincing.....
The database obviously is not complete or infallible, but I do not do assumptions. Pedant I may be, but unless paper supports our assumptions, then rather than identification, we are guessing.....
Regards,
M
PS your set with one-handled cups follows what appears to be a catalogue habit, where one-handled bowls go with two-handled compotes... therefore almost certainly right....

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:05 PM »
Rummaging through a junk shop in Bern last week, I found a flint divided plate (like the Argos 5 pic) no handle, but with the right feel... plus a bunch of lookalike Argos plates and bowls - not quite as heavy as expected - all stamped "FRANCE" in very small letters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand