No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cased Crackle multicolour Italian vase opalescent Lions gold etc etc  (Read 7559 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
This unusual vase has everything :o , its cased, crackle glazed multicolours, loads of Gold , 2
opalescent lions , foot is bolted on,
Its got to be italian, and im sure it should be moved there shortly, i think its probably very early
20thC, or 19thCentury.

I dont know where to start with this one :huh: , its a goody though! (its not chinese!)

Any clues ?
Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Cased Crackle multicolour Italian vase opalescent Lions gold etc etc
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »
Ive noticed this also has a folded foot! And im beginning to wonder if it is a very early piece?
maybe early 19thc , theres some very early plaster or glue around the brass foot,and for such a
fine item, the body of the vase is a bit lumpy, a few imperfections here and there. Does anyone
agree i should go back in time?

Regards
Andy 8)

edit just lookin in a little book, ,Murano, a history of glass,
theres some stuff in the 16th Century with similarities :o  Blimey maybe ive found a museum piece!

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »
One of the keys to dating this will be in the threads and ridges on the nut holding the base on.  Use a loupe to look at the ridges.  If  the piece is early 19th or before, you should see hand tooling marks on it.  If any marks you see and consistent and uniform, the nut is machine made, and likely late 19th century or later.   May I ask how you came across it?

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »
Hi uphoosier,
well, i cant see tool marks on the nut, of course it could have been replaced, it looks like some
toolwork on the end of the bolt though. The metal base, i presume is gold plated.
heres a few new photos of base, the lions and a little brown speck of gold glass , stuck to the
outside.
Cheer Andy

ps im not too keen on taking the bolt off though :-\

Oh , an sorry , forgot the other Question, i got this and 5 or 6 other nice bits in a local auction
i expect a house clearance from a poor ex collector, no longer with us :'(

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »
Just thought id bump this one up as it got lost in all the busyness and hardwork done at Easter.
And it is quite an interesting lump of glass ;)

Anyone have any ideas on age? or maybe the opalescent Lions point to a maker??

Cheers
Andy

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »
Well, the lion is the symbol of St Mark, and St Mark is the patron saint of Venice  :-\   That's all I can say, I'm afraid!  But it is a very beautiful piece of glass!  :D   
Leni

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »
Boy, that is quite a fascinating piece!  What are the layers?  Green on the inside, then white, then I can't tell.  Is that some sort of enamel, that's crackled and colorful?  It looks sort of like it has texture.

What's the stuff just above the top of the metal part of the base, glue or something?  I wonder whether it's possible the base was added at a later date, like maybe the original foot broke or something.  Seems a little odd, using that color glass for the base...but then, the whole thing's a bit odd!

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
Thanks Leni and Kristi,
I think i have a clue now where it was made, and may ask for it to moved to the other board later,
but prefer it to stay here for a while for anyone else to see it!

Kristi, i see something new in it everytime i look closely! its certainly green on the inside, im not
sure if there is then a white layer, around the top it appears there may be, and then the multi coloured
layer is on top of that,  I think it has then been cased in clear glass, from the base of the neck,
and the crackle effect starts from there, i presume its been dipped and  cooled after the clear layer has been
appllied, to crackle just the cased clear glass. i can imagine , held by the top, dipped to the shoulder.
At the base of the vase between the gold foot, there is some very old and thick glue or plaster, it does
look like an old amateur repair, maybe the foot became loose, or , as you say, its had a new foot added!

Maybe more clues to help date it?
Anyone ??  (Adam, how do you think it was made?)
An interesting piece ;D
Andy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
I think perhaps it could be very old, and that even the repair ('new' foot) is old (18C). Crackle glass first appeared in Italy in  the 16C (part crackling was used) and aventurine a similar sort of time. Plaster has also been around for a very long time and was quite commonly used to hold metalwork to glass. Have you decided what the metal is? If it was plate, I would expect some loss; if non-precious some tarnishing or you could smell the copper

My thoughts are you have either a very old piece
or you have an old fake of a very old piece

Perhaps you should trot off to a museum with it, perhaps the V&A?

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
Thanks Christine,

another good tip  :D
I dont think the metal smells (or tastes  :P) of anything, so i deduct it may be gold plated.
As i mentioned, the crackling is only on the applied clear layer, its different to
other crackling ive seen, more a texture, a bit more 'molten ' in appearence and feel to others.
Its almost a bit skin like in appearance. ( Im inventing new words for describing glass ;D)

Regards
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand