No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted cranberry jug enamelled Rose, polished pontil ID = Poschinger  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Another nicely made object, you can see how im spending Good Friday ;D
this pretty pink cranberry jug has a matt frosted finish , the deep enamel rose is all handpainted,
remains of a pontil mark, the only mark on it is 4/-
Its a quality item, and most of the pieces in the lot it came from , i think are late 19th, early 20th C.

Any ideas  :huh:
Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Galle

• Members
Re: Frosted cranberry jug enamelled Rose, polished pontil
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
Wow, Andy... where are you getting all this cool stuff? I'll hit the books when I get home this evening, but I'm thinking this one might be Riedel? I'm trying to flip through PMCIV and PMCV in my mind, and I can't remember where I saw something similar, but I'll let you know later this afternoon or tonight.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »
Hi Warren
i got all these 6 or 7 pieces in one lot at a local auction, about £80, but i loved the Kralik
piece, and the fish. This one i didnt really look at closely until i got home, but its certainly
a quality piece of glass ;D If you find any more on it , id be grateful.

Regards Andy
(not sure what PMCIV is??)

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »
Hi, Andy... sorry for the abbreviation - PMC = Passau Museum Collection - there is a seven volume set of books (in German) called Das Böhmische Glas, which is a review of the Bohemian glass collection in the Passauer Glasmuseum that dates from 1700-1950. It's pretty expensive (about $350 USD), but even though I don't read German, it's been one of the best investments I've made. I recommend it to anyone who is going to seriously dive into collecting Bohemian glass.

At any rate - £80 for the whole lot is a great deal! Congratulations!

I looked back through my books, as I was trying to remember where I saw decoration similar to this, and it wasn't Riedel. My guess is that your pitcher may have been made by Poschinger. They did a lot of this enamel with the kind of matte finish. I'll see if I can find an example on line. Fortunately, the Poschinger glass works are still in operation, so it may be possible to contact them and simply ask. They have a website, and their email is info@poschinger.de.

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
Sorry - I hit "enter" before I was ready... the only other thing I wanted to say is that I have contacted them before, and Benedikt Poschinger did reply. Most of the companies that are still in business today, (Moser, Harrach, Poschinger) have been very helpful when contacted directly.

Good luck, and congratulations again on your box lot purchase - good job!

Warren

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
I havent got around to emailing Poshinger yet, but i went to Gaydon yesterday, and i saw a couple
of similar enamelled items, by Poshinger, (and a million bits of other nice glass :o )
so i am leaning towards them.  I will send an email this week!
Andy 8)

(email just sent, fingers crossed ;) )

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »
Great news, :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:
Warren, thanks for your help, i have received a reply from my email, it reads,

'Hi,
it seems to be a Jugendstil glass from the Poschinger Glashütte in Buchenau.

Regards
Benedikt Poschinger'

Im taking 'Jugendstil' to mean Art Nouveau period, circa late 19th Century ;D
Cheers all,
Andy

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
Andy,

Congratulations - it's always nice to get a positive ID, especially from the source! Jugendstil is indeed art nouveau, circa 1900. (I think the literal translation is something like "youth style", but it is the German phrase for art nouveau)

Again - that lot was a great buy! :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand