No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Toby Jug ID = Duncan & Millar Old Charlie  (Read 3586 times)

Connie

Glass Toby Jug ID = Duncan & Millar Old Charlie
« on: July 24, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »
A friend asked me to help her identify this.  I know it is patterned after a Toby jug but I can't find any glass ones.

Glass Toby Jug

Sorry, I don't have the dimensions on it but she also has 4 matching glasses.

Glass

Thank you for your insight.

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Glass Toby Jug
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 08:16:49 PM »
Hello:

There was a good article by Tom Bredehoft about these in All About Glass Vol. 1 No. 1 page 23.  They were originally made by Duncan and Miller of Washington, PA circa 1934 and called Old Charlie. When Duncan & Miller closed in 1955 most of their moulds went to the US Glass plant at Tiffin, Ohio but there is no record that this tumbler mould was ever transferred.

The tumblers are being made currently by Appalachian Glass of Weston WV using a mould they acquired from West Virginia Glass Specialty.  It is not known how they got the mould.  Appalachian Glass call it the Buccaneer.

The whereabouts of the pitcher mould is not known.

All About Glass is the publication of the West Virginia Museum of American Glass.  I recommend subscribing to this excellent journal if you don't already. Visit their webpage at:

http://wvmag.bglances.com/

Sid

Mod: Link corrected.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Glass Toby Jug
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 08:30:58 PM »
Whitefriars did glass Toby jugs but this doesn't looks like one of theirs.
Pete

Connie

Glass Toby Jug
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »
Thank you, Sid. !!

With your information, I found a picture of both the jug and glasses in Depression Era Glass by Duncan by Pina.

I knew I had seen this before but I have so many glass reference books it is hard to remember sometimes where to look  :oops:

Offline whitefriars 007

• Members
glass toby jug
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:35:49 PM »
Hello

I have attached a link showing some whitefriars Toby jugs from my collection.  You will clearly see a difference - these are the 1 pint versions called Barnaby.  There is an article on whitefriars Toby jugs on the link below in the category whitefriars & their glass.  Hope this helps for future reference.

Regards

Trudy

www.whitefriars.com/my_photo.php?Id=2057

http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/index2.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand