No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Northwood, 'Fluted Scroll' or 'Klondyke'  (Read 4793 times)

Offline barbdale

• Members
Northwood, 'Fluted Scroll' or 'Klondyke'
« on: July 23, 2005, 02:56:33 PM »
I am a complete novice to vaseline glass.  I found this piece, and have verified that is is vaseline glass, with a black light.  Now, I'd like to know if it is old, new, reproduction, or what!  I've seen a dish similiar to this online... one identified as Northwood (but it had a cover), and another without a lid.  But I believe that one said that it had the Northwood mark on it.  I can see no marks on it.  This dish is 5 1/2 inches across & 2 inches tall.  

here are pics:
http://tinypic.com/99mp15.jpg
http://tinypic.com/99mpnp.jpg
http://tinypic.com/99nac4.jpg

If anyone can help me, I'd SURE appreciate it!

Thanks, Barbara

Mod: pics vanished and irretrievable, threat retained for info on Klondyke.

Offline Leni

• Members
Help identifying this dish (candy dish?)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 07:56:37 PM »
Ooooh Barbara!  that's just the sort of thing I like!   :shock:  :D

If it is uranium glass I think it has to have some age, as uranium is not allowed to be used in glass any more (except by restorers - shh!)  

I reckon it dates from the late 1800's.  I think it would certainly be after 1876 because the threading on the bowl appears to be done by machine, and the machine used to apply threaded or trailed decoration was patented by William Hodgetts in that year.  Stevens and Stuart both later patented similar machines to Hodgetts'.  

I don't think Northwood, although I can't quite put my finger on why not  :?

At the end of the day, I'm afraid I don't know the maker, but I would love to know, as I have a vase with feet just like that, although it's not in uranium / vaseline glass!  (My Big Book of Vaseline Glass shows a Stuart with similar rigaree to my vase, but not the 'celery handle' style feet. )

So: Stevens & Wlliams?  Richardson?  Stuart?  Webb?   :shock:  Stourbridge, anyway I reckon!  (Now someone will come along and say 'Czech' or 'Bohemian'  :roll:   :lol: )

Bernard, where are you when we need you?  Or Nigel; whaddya say fellas?

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 08:44:48 PM »
Northwood? Fluted Scroll aka Klondyke.

Glen

PS. I forgot to add a date. 1898 - interesting because this was the "Gold Rush" and that's when Northwood introduced the name Klondyke. Not all Northwood glass is marked.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:12:03 PM »
:shock: Gosh!  I stand corrected!  :shock:  Certainly looks like Northwood Klondyke to me!  :?

So Glen, Could it be possible that my vase is by Northwood as well?  It isn't vaseline glass, it's amber with clear feet and rigaree.  I must admit I never thought of it being from the US.  

Here's a pic:  http://tinypic.com/9a1rwp.jpg  

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »
Hi Leni - this is not my main area of expertise, so I hope that some of our US members who are more experienced in this area will comment. I don't think your vase is Northwood's Klondyke (aka Fluted Scroll aka Jackson). I believe it should have the "threading" up near the top to be characteristic of the pattern.

By the way, I have read that Klondyke has been repro'd by Mosser, but not in vaseline.

Glen

BTW...gorgeous vase, Leni  :lol:

And a PS...if that's a margarita you're sipping, I want one too!
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 12:55:53 AM »
Hi folks,

Fascinated as I am by detail, I think it would be fun to try to illustrate as many "Scroll" /  "Celery" / "Ribbed Shell" feet, handles and general prunts as we can find. Close up images and info on the number of ribs and whether there are extensions or apendages to, or as part of, the main ribbed shell deisgn would all be needed.

If we could do this we may start to come up with a decent reference collection that might also be able to be tied in with known registered designs.

In Mervyn Gulliver's Victorian Decorative Glass, British Designs 1850-194, there is a starter showing some registered designs of "Ribbed Shell" feet etc. for the various Richardsons dynasty, Thomas Webb & Sons and Boulton & Mills.

As for Barbara's dish, I certainly think the decoration is on the "fancy" side which suggests American to me - maybe it is Northwood, but I wouldn't know. What is interesting, though, is that the Ribbed Shell feet have those extra bits of fancy, waved-scroll sections rising up the side of the bowl. Are those extensions integral with the feet or overlaid?

I think Leni's vase is English (Stourbridge, for want of a more precise attribution). The "odd" thing to me is that the feet are really nice but the rigaree and the "Continental" style of flat, sliced-off rim seem to be slightly out of keeping. As a pure guess, I'd suggest Boulton & Mills.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand