No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Annagelb Biedermeier: sugar, marmalade, nut dish?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Annagelb Biedermeier: sugar, marmalade, nut dish?
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »
I am not sure if you would call this a nut dish, marmalade/jelly, or a sugar?  Seems kinda shallow for a sugar.
Anyway, thought I would share the photo.  What I especially like about it is the deeply cut top rim.  The underside of the bottom is sort of a diamond cut, resulting in all pyramid shapes, so it sits just on the points.  This keeps the underside from showing scratches.  I have a friend in the US who also has one just like this, but it is the only two I have seen. 

dimensions:  from center crown point to opposite side on top rim:  4 3/4".
Height: 4 1/4", diameter of foot 3 1/4" (point to point)
deepest depth from center of bowl:  1"
There is a horizontal repeating line on the outside of the upper bowl.  if I measure on the inside of the bowl  from one side to the other (at the outer line area), it is 2 3/4"
So, for all practical purposes, the inner bowl area where something can be held is 1" deep by 2 3/4".  I just tried an experiment and scooped up 1/3rd cup of dry macaroni pasta, and it fit about right, with no extra room.

The thought also occurred to me, possibly caviar, but that is usually in something chilled.  This piece was made in 1840s, so it could be for something that has lost favor with today's palate.

The photo link shows a composite picture of 4 different views.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/biedermeierjelly4shot.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Annagelb Biedermeier: sugar, marmalade, nut dish?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:56:10 PM »
full of envy - but as a collector: full applause!!  :clap:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Annagelb Biedermeier: sugar, marmalade, nut dish?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »
I think it is a comport or a sweetmeat dish.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand