No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two pressed glass questions  (Read 4021 times)

Sklounion

Two pressed glass questions
« on: July 24, 2005, 12:07:02 PM »
Hi,

Marimekko are well-known for their fabrics. Does anyone know if the company had its own glass-making plant, or was glass made for them, and if so by which company? The piece I have found has in raised lettering to the base "Marimekko".

The second question refers to a pressed glass vase, and raised lettering.

Does anyone know whether the bases of moulds could be changed to give an indication of the intended export market? The example I have is marked to the base "Tchecoslovakie", obviously for the French market. I feel sure I have seen the same pattern in the UK, unmarked to the base.
I have been unable to discover whether the use of raised marks ended before or after WWII.

I have a feeling that the piece is post-war, possibly Sklarny Inwald or Sklo Union.

I know Peter and I have the same pattern of "art deco" vase, which in my case, is acid-etched "importe du Tchecoslovakie", and have seen top marques with raised marks, mainly pre 1939.

This vase does not look pre-war, but might be. I'm thinking now an image might be helpful???

Thanks in advance for any information,

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 12:26:35 PM »
It is normal practise in bottle moulds, at least, to have a customisation panel or panels. Usually for adding names logos on one or more sides of a standard shape. No reason that a similar approach should not be used in glassware too.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 02:18:59 PM »
What you found are "Kivi" votive candle holders, designed by Heikki Orvola (who is not a woman!) and marketed through Marimekko outlets - which is embossed on the bottom. Manufacturer is Iittala.  Comes in clear, blue, sand blasted, yellow, red, green, light green and light blue. As Iittala puts it: "A simple shape which captures the essence of its design purpose to create a mood of 'oneness' through light. When lit, one can readily see the philosophy reflected; that nothing can overcome this soft glow of flame - one can only work together with it"  unquote
You must be overwhelmed by now....  :P

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »
Kivi
these ? http://bonitasnordicimports.com/mcart/index.cgi?&task=show&cat=iittala+Kivi

Tchecoslovakie
I know Peter and I have the same pattern of "art deco" vase
Hmmmm I'm wondering which one now ..............

I'm thinking now an image might be helpful???  
Um er yeah pleeeeeze before I go even more bonkers !
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 04:47:34 PM »
As Iittala puts it: "A simple shape which captures the essence of its design purpose to create a mood of 'oneness' through light. When lit, one can readily see the philosophy reflected; that nothing can overcome this soft glow of flame - one can only work together with it" unquote

Ivo,
That has to be one of the worst examples of advertising excess around. But it had me smiling.
Regards,
Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »
Peter,

Image of yours/mine deco vase:
http://tinypic.com/9auww2.jpg

Image of the raised lettering vase:
http://tinypic.com/9av0n4.jpg

Regards,

Marcus

Aaaaaaarrgh....encore un fois.... c'est moi, LeClerq :lol:  :lol:

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:03:41 PM »
Marcus, sorry I haven't answered earlier, I've been away for a couple of days and just got back. You asked:
Does anyone know whether the bases of moulds could be changed to give an indication of the intended export market?

The answer (if I understand the question correctly) is yes. In a pressed glass mould, the parts are basically, the mould, plunger, top ring and base plate. The base plate can be changed easily. As an example - in our Carnival club wwwcga, we have a commemorative that Fenton make for us. Each year we have a new base plate made with lettering on it to note the location of our Convention and the year.

Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood you, and you knew all the above.

Regarding glass marked "Tchecoslovakie", I have a number of examples and know of quite a few more. Mainly Carnival of course. Most of them were made by Josef Inwald or Josef Rindskopf.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 07:17:32 PM »
Thanks for this, Glen.

What puzzled me about this vase is that stylistically it is 1950's/60's, and much of the other Czech post-war stuff I have, is UK market, and un-marked. It is one of those, was it legislation that Czech exports to France had to be marked, (and I have not managed to discover this here yet), or is the vase much earlier than I think. Giving the Shrotter vase from 1940, which is much earlier than most assume, as an example, then the same might apply.

Market or date, either way this one is bugging me.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Marcus

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
As Iittala puts it: "A simple shape which captures the essence of its design purpose to create a mood of 'oneness' through light. When lit, one can readily see the philosophy reflected; that nothing can overcome this soft glow of flame - one can only work together with it" unquote

Ivo,
That has to be one of the worst examples of advertising excess around. But it had me smiling.
Regards,
Marcus

Well, it's better than "These are boring little squat cylinders which you can stick a candle in if you like. Or not, your choice."

Cathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand