No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: making paperweights  (Read 3921 times)

lsquared

making paperweights
« on: July 24, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »
Hi there,
   Does anyone know of a paperweight maker who will put a dried out rose I have into a paper weight?? is that possible? - or does anyone else have any ideas about what I can do with in terms of glass!? I live in West Sussex so I would prefer to use someone in this area. Thank you in advance for your help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
making paperweights
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
You could put it in an acrylic weight, craft shops may have DIY kits.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
making paperweights
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »
You might find a glass-blower who would blow you a hollow 'bubble' which could then have a stopper put in the bottom  :shock:

I remember seeing this done with dried flowers a few years ago.  Anyone else remember them?  

Is it a very 'special' rose?   :wink:  I have a few dried roses from my wedding bouquet which I keep in a brandy balloon   :oops:  

All together, everyone: "Aaaaaah" :roll:  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
making paperweights
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 01:13:11 AM »
It's nice to keep special flowers like that. I have a bowl full which date back to my son's birth and include petals from every special bouquet since. My other half calls it my "bowl of dead things" and finds it highly funny that I tip it from one bowl to another in order to clean the original bowl. Just to keep this On Topic, I should say that the bowl is an enormous blue glass one which fills the centre of the coffee table, it's modern, and probably mass-produced, but I like it and it's big enough to hold the "dead things".  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

lsquared

making paperweights
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 03:24:42 PM »
Yes it is a very special rose! my boyfriend bought it for me for our first valentine's day we had together and its been around ever since. Leni you mentioned a glass blower might be able to help can you point me in the direction of one in the west suusex region- woulc it be expensive? Also what's a brandy balloon?

thanks lsquared :D

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: making paperweights
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 03:30:14 PM »
Quote from: "lsquared"
Leni you mentioned a glass blower might be able to help can you point me in the direction of one in the west suusex region- woulc it be expensive? Also what's a brandy balloon?

thanks lsquared :D

Don't know of any glassblowers in Sussex, but presumably there must be some around!   :shock:   Anyone else know the area?  

And a 'brandy balloon' is just a name for those fat brandy glasses with small openings - sort of balloon shaped. Sorry to confuse!  :oops:  :roll:  

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand