Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

How do collectors choose???

<< < (2/2)

svazzo:
Hi KevH,
Which are the "Crown" weights? The ones with the vertical latticino/zanfirico colums going down the paperweight?

1st row (going down)...
- Daisy Pattern & Roses paperweights are Fratelli Toso (documented in his book)
- White Latticino and Blue w/ Aventurine (dont know, maybe Alfredo Barbini or Avem)

2nd row down...
- Middle Bubble w/ Flower Ring has the Alfredo Barbini label
- White, Red, and Green scramble weight is F. Toso (documented in F. Toso Book)
- Orange and Yellow paperweight (unsure)

3rd row down...
- Red w Flower Murrines has A. Barbini Label
- Checkered Yellow on Blue w Flower (unsure, maybe F. Toso)
- Flower Murrine + Latticino Petals on Aventurine (KB label, beleve its F. Toso)

4th row down...
- "Crown" Paperweight (believe its also F. Toso - similar ones are in his book)
- Blue and White Flower Murrines (unsure - KB label)
- Yellow and Lt Green "Brain" weight (unsure)

Javier

EstlinClichy:
In your original post, you have a photo of four weights. Regarding the top row, with the white flower and yellow center, I would keep the larger Murano, which is, as you look at your computer, the one on your left. The bottom row is easy. Keep the one on your right as you look at your computer, the weight with the more stable triangle. Of coruse, excessive bubbles or striations also play into selecting the better weight, as well as any human-made problems like scratches, pin-pricks, moon bruises, gouges, abrasions, or chips.

I'm glad to hear about an eager Murano collector. Muranos tend to get short shrift, but there are some very good ones out there. In fact, there are some truly beautiful high quality Murano paperweights from the 1970s and 1980s with superb latticino and wonderfully stylized and densely compacted millefiori canes. Some of spectacular pedestal weights. The game is to find them and snap them up.

Too many unscrupulous eBay sellers, many of them operating out of the Los Angeles - Pasadena - San Gabriel area of southern California and many of them Asian-Americans - are importing and selling cheap and shoddy Chinese/Taiwanese glass items and foisting them off as Murano. These sellers include ABC78333, Fabulous-art, Crystalmall, Coffeeandcakejob, Saltimcrystals, 1000glassbeads, The-art-gift, Fineglasscollection, and 21stbest. There are others of whom to be leery. With very rare exceptions, be careful of buying from them.

svazzo:
Hello!
Thanks for the comments!
I still havent decided between them, lol, its too hard for me.
I might wait around until another one of each comes up. I think it would be easier deciding between 3 than 2.
Do you collect Murano weights by maker or just style?
Just curious.
Javier

EstlinClichy:
Generally, I collect Murano by style, especially some of the exquisite millefiori weights I've purchased over the past few years. The are good quality and have superior cane set-ups. Not all Murano weights look like quick fixes. In fact, I'm off to Italy and France in a couple of days and will be in Venice for six nights. Will be looking for high quality paperweights on Murano and in every flea market and antique shop I go into, both in Italy and France.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version