No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: advise needed; Vaseline and Israeli Glass  (Read 6317 times)

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
advise needed; Vaseline and Israeli Glass
« on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:53 AM »
Good Morning,
It has occured to me that I should ask advise on just how much uranium is in Vaseline glass.  When I have put some 40 pieces together, does the old gieger counter go off?  Also, under my black light, some pieces have a much brighter (glow  :?: ) shine.  Does that mean it is more radient?  Now, I am surely not worried about getting pregnant,  thank God, but it seems my offspring doesn't realize just what it is that is responsible for all the babies around here!!  They just don't know when to quit!  What level of radiation is safe?  What is not safe?

Now,hopefully, onto another path to this wealth of knowledge here...
The pieces of Israeli Glass I have are most likely knockoffs from the real deal, but, what if.......?  How do I tell what is authentic?  I have learned on this forum of the wave of psuedo Israeli Glass on the market today, so if that's what I have, so be it.  I would like to have some links for the research, as I have had no joy at all, not even on Google or Omni.
Thanks so much for your time and advise,

Linda
You can't hurt your eyes by looking on the bright side...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 12:11:45 PM »
From my limited knowledge, I understand the Geiger counter will go off with just a single piece!  :P

Tony Hayter's 1st Glass site is well worth visiting on this subject and a good source of attribution:

http://www.1st-glass.1st-things.com

I think the ciontent or purity of uranium can determine the brightness - some pieces I have glow readily in normal daylight, whereas others don't look uranium at all and need the 'purple light' to reveal all.

I know that the level of uranium is "harmless" but have often wondered myself whether a substantial collection could make anyone "icky-poo" — but I reckon you'll be alright Linda, providing the babies don't have three heads  :lol:

Free advice, with no conditions (ahem!) :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 12:53:54 PM »
'The Big Book of Vaseline Glass' by Barrie W Skelcher, published by Schiffer, (I bought my copy at Broadfield House) is fantastic for the science (both physics and chemistry) involved in 'Vaseline' (uranium) glass  :shock:

To cut a long story short, his conclusion is that a full cabinet of uranium glass might expose the owner in one year to an additional dose equal to from one eighth to a quarter of the normal annual exposure to background radiation we all get, depending where we live.  (Hope I made that clear enough  :? )

Skelcher says this might increase if, for example, one wore a necklace made of uranium glass beads next to the skin, but would still be below the dose regularly experinced by workers in the nuclear industry and considered to be safe (although he admits it might eventually cause a skin complaint, in the way that over exposure to UV in sunlight can lead to skin cancer).

As for the amount of uranium in a piece affecting the fluorescence, it is not dependant on quantity but on the chemical composition of the various  uranium salts and on their reaction with the other chemicals in the glass.  

Also, Thorium and Potassium can cause glass to fluoresce without there being any uranium in it at all!  And both will register on a Geiger Counter, too  :shock:

It's a super book, and well worth getting if you are 'into' 'Vaseline' (or 'uranium') glass!   :D

Leni
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 12:57:29 PM »
:D  :D
I don't think you need to worry unduly about the radiation from Uranium. I believe it is not really of the harmful type. (there's Alpha, Beta and Gamma types, all have varying strengths - some cannot penetrate as far as others, while the dangerous stuff needs lead bricks to stop it.

I don't think Uranium will get through anything much. They gave it to us as trainee technicians, in liquid form, to throw about in labs!). It's not much more dangerous than luminous toys or watchfaces, although, obviously there is more of it! I've heard that someone wearing beads of uranium glass set off the alarm bells while visiting Sellafield! :lol::lol::lol:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »
An eight of the 'safe' dose seems a lot to put on top of the normal background. Plus there have been scientific opinions that the so called 'safe' dose is a hundred or more time too high. A subject that is aired from time to time in journals but never with the power of the nuclear lobby.

But what the heck we all die anyway. :wink:

Don't forget radiation doses are cumulative, so every additional exposure tots up your dose.

Anonymous

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 08:37:32 PM »
I had discussions with a professor some years ago - he was the inventor of the Geiger Mueller tube (for detecting radioactivity). He told me that vaseline glass was not "dangerous" at all - and that brazil nuts were actually more radioactive.

I'm no scientist, but my understanding has always been that vaseline glass (in the form in which we have it as glass) is not "dangerous" in any way.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 11:09:19 PM »
Hi,
The pitcher is almost certainly Israeli. Ruthven perhaps.
Of the others, I can't say.
Max, Leni, convince this gal, she'a natural-born glassaholic Texas chapter founder member. :lol:  :lol:
There's some interesting-looking pieces in the back-grounds of these images.
Thanks for the tantalising glimpses Linda,
Regards,
Marcus

Offline lhazeldahl

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »
LeCasson,
Do you mean the first pitcher?  It has a gold sticker saying Israeli, and another member here told me it was most likely put on there to decieve

Yes, I have certainly become a "glassie", "glassoholic", and I am loading some pics of the other glass, just in case you want to see.......hee hee.
Of all the many antiques that has befallen me, the glass is by far my favorite.  There is a vast amount, and it is very intimidating and overwhelming.  I feel this way, probably, because I recognize the daunting responsibility I have to these wonderful pieces of history!  As I have told Max and Leni, I can't imagine being without this obsession!!!  There is loads of Ivory, Jewlery, Wall Art, an immense amount of Asian Art, Ephemera, you name it, these gals probably collected it.  What I recieved is the leftovers, at that, after everyone got what they wanted.  I have wondered if some was in some kind of retail setting, and some have auction tags on them.  This is truly a labor of love.  (but I am retired, clocked out, off duty!!!)  just kidding, I'll see it thru.
I will be back later, Hubby wants fish for supper, and I get out of cooking!

You people make me feel great!  Thanks
Linda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand