No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Forvil Bottle  (Read 4615 times)

Anonymous

Forvil Bottle
« on: July 21, 2005, 01:45:30 PM »
Hi everyone. Have searched to avoid duplication but find no references. So...wonder if anyone knows anything about this t ype of small bottle.

A nice little bottle. 3cms square,overall ht.10cms.   7cms to shoulder,then 3cms of twirled thread neck.NOT litle thread.one bold cord twirled around the stem. Silver cap.Plain with indentation to take the thread.
Fluted all around to shoulder.Gives 'magnifying' effect. Front has fluting from base, a clear space (for a label?) then a row of dots (the remains of the flutes if not interrupted) above and below the word FORVIL.

On the base it says PARIS  FRANCE.   A pic would shorten post.BUT don't have one right now.So apologies.

Whilst probably v.common it is nice. So would like to know whether it was perhaps ?hair brilliantine ?perfume.....or even an 'exotic' imported foodstuff?
Dug up in a 'farm homestead tip' in central Queensland, Australia, probably untouched for at least 40 years, perhaps more, it is v.good condition. Here in rural Australia items of quality glass, made in France would not have been v.common in most country homes.  ANy help appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

Forvil Bottle
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 10:08:33 AM »
:o  Surely someone must know these items. I don't but that's not surprising.  :oops:
Please see if you have any ideas?
Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

Forvil Bottle
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »
French Perfume

http://www.adclassix.com/ads/26forvil.htm

This was easily found by simply putting "Forvil" into Google  :roll:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Forvil Bottle
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 04:32:16 PM »
Not "exotic imported foodstuff".

A cosmetic, certainly. But might be Brilliantine, might be Perfume or whatever. The company definitely now uses plastic bottles, so perhaps the glass bottle versions are "old", but maybe they still use both?

This information was easily found by reading parts of a number of the links that Google presented  :D  - including the ones to the Forvil company website, where there is a contact link.
KevinH

Anonymous

Forvil Bottle
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »
Once you have a company name and a country you are 99% there.
Any further info really need a photo
Otherwise all we can do is speculate .................................

Anonymous

Forvil Bottle
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 03:09:05 AM »
:oops:  Hi and thanks. Yes, I did the searches in between and found those bits of info.too.       As you  say   'perfume'.    What I also found though, and wondered if other better information would come from those with a wider practical knowledge, was that Forvil utilised many 'artists' to produce signature packaging for fragrances or image.
I also see Forvil now have a huge Asian pharmaceutical/cosmetic base.NOT of any direct  interest  on this item I wouldn't think.

I will still try and put up a pic next week as my query is as much about the period and range the glass bottle represents ie is it standard packaging or special, and for which frgrance. It looks rather masculine to me and I did wonder about Brilliantine also. (Ribbed rather than fluted, couldn't think of term at the time).

Thanks for comments.Appreciated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand