No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please can you help with this ??Whitefriars  (Read 5786 times)

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
Please can you help with this ??Whitefriars
« on: July 25, 2005, 01:45:31 PM »
I have tried to get on the Whitefriars forum board but either I have pressed the wrong buttons or their confirmation email is slow.
The weight is 3"  high with the base 1" diam. slightly concave, fine polished, similar to an abstract Whitfriars pwt I have which had the original label.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=9fmoeq  Mod: Image gone from Tinypic

http://tinypic.com/9fmq6q.jpg  Mod: Image gone from Tinypic

There are a couple of white inclusions but I don't think they are  signature cane .
The bubbles are swirled.
Thank you for looking.
Jean :?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 04:41:24 PM »
Hello Jean  :)

This doesn't look like any Whitefriars paperweight I've seen before, but possibly I haven't seen all the designs.  

I can give you a photo of the base of one of mine, for you to see:

http://tinypic.com/9fscnd.jpg

Hope it helps!   :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 10:11:46 PM »
Hi

Regardless of the base, which is significantly different, there also appears to be quite a difference in the quality of the glass in favour of Max's piece.
This design is not uncommon and like many others it is probably on the list of those manufactured in the Far East.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 07:30:48 PM »
Thank you Max and Gareth.
I have only seen chinese pwts -the ones I have seen have all had the flat dull grey finish..
 :?

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 10:03:55 PM »
Hi Jean

I think you'll find as someone else pointed out recently,( may have been KevH but not sure), that the Chinese weights are continuing to improve, and therefore certain characteristics may no longer exist as a consistent point of reference.
 With regards to Chinese weights in some respects its a shame as there would appear to be some talented people over there that do not have the same opportunities to express their individuality comensurate with their abilities. China however is very fast moving at the moment so doubtless that situation may well change in the not too distant future....and as they have such a tremendous cultural heritage to draw upon the results could be quite interesting.
 I think it was Nostradamus who spoke of the "invasion" from the east....in days gone by this was basically interpreted as militarily....today it will most likely be an economical one and certainly not to be under-estimated in its capacity to change that which we now take for granted...  :roll:  :roll: oops sorry...I think Ive drifted off subject.

regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:37:21 PM »
Gareth said:
I think you'll find as someone else pointed out recently,( may have been KevH but not sure), that the Chinese weights are continuing to improve ...
Well, I have mentioned this, but usually as an agreement to other folks' comments (such as Leni's admirable defence of what she believes to be better quality examples  :D )

As for the actual bubbled weight queried here, I find it noteworthy that in the trade catalogues I have for Zibo Zhaohai Light Industrial Products Co., Ltd. (year 2000) there are over 650 general paperweights shown (not including all the variations of Fish, Octpuses etc.) but not one weight of this bubble design.

So, if it is from the Chinese, it may well be one of the later products - and it certainly does look quite good in its manufacture.

But I wonder if it could be East European and maybe Polish - of the types seen in the UK in TK Maxx stores in recent times.

And another thought - any reason to say it's not a modern Murano item?
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 10:51:50 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Well, I have mentioned this, but usually as an agreement to other folks' comments (such as Leni's admirable defence of {Leni inserts italics} what she believes to be better quality examples  :D )

Kevin, that sounds just a little like what my mother used to call a 'back-handed compliment'!   :P  :lol:  :wink:

Leni  xx
Leni

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 07:27:34 PM »
Thank you all for your input.
I haven't seen one of the Polish PWTs in my travels so I do not know if the bases are polished  similar to my other Whitefriars Abstract weight.
I know my photo wasn't very good.
Base is firepolished concave about 1" diam with a surrounding 1/4" which does not make any  surface contact   There is some wear to the rim .
Thank you all.

:)

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 08:45:23 PM »
The concave polished base lets out one obvious East European candidate. It is not a product from Harrachov.

regards,

Le Casson

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »
Thank you
 :)

Jean
dreamticket2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk