No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight handle jiggers  (Read 3369 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Paperweight handle jiggers
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
Allan Port has a boxed set including one and they turn up on eBay every few years.

http://www.paperweights.com/scottish.htm

So far, I don't think I have seen one of these jiggers / spirit measures sold as a separate item, but that does not mean they are not to be found that way. Other bar set items do appear individually, with the corkscrews and bottle openers being most regular.

I only know of perhaps half a dozen of the boxed sets and that last one (sold recently via eBay) may have been missing the jigger!

When I bid for (and won) a complete boxed set a couple of years ago, it was made known to me that these attract the interest of collectors of bar items, and that a paperweight handle would be seen as simply a decorative touch, rather than a piece of the paperweight history connected with the Ysart family. So, it's worth keeping an eye on the eBay catgeories covering bar tools etc., as well as paperweights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline DuaneClayton

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »
I recently bought a set minus the spirit measure that was in a brass finish. this box does not seem to be made for the measure, but I may have them put in the box wrong. the web page that was offered here show them all in the box so I am going to rearrange mine to see if it fits in the box like the picture from paperweights web site.

I have found and bought a number of these items in singles. only in the silver/chrome finish.

So till looking and collecting.

thanks for your help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:36:35 AM »
I just checked and ... my comment: "I only know of perhaps half a dozen of the boxed sets and that last one (sold recently via eBay) may have been missing the jigger!" ... refers to the set that you bought. I was the underbidder. It was my request for info on the possible missing piece and the box lid that the seller added to the listing.

The set I already have is the same as in Allan Port's site in that the pieces are the same and are laid out in the same way (except my bottle opener is on the left and can opener is on the right) in a same-sized box. One of the other sets I have seen and handled is also identical in those respects. Your possibly partial set has a larger box to accommodate four items in depth, rather than three, but the width would seem to be the same judging by the length of the spoon.

In my set, the other one I have handled, and in Allan's, the positions of the pieces are set precisely by the cut-outs of the wooden (I assume) base section. It is not possible to place the items in any postion other than that which has been designed for them. In your set, from the seller's images I could not really tell what shape the indents were and what tools they were supposed to hold. But there were certainly at least two indents that were not used for any of the tools shown in the box. Hence my query about it - and also why I was particularly interested in that set, as I tend these days to buy "oddities" that need some thought rather than just clear-cut examples of known items. :)
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
They were also sold in other sized sets than that shown. I would appreciate pictures of the, seemingly rare, brass finish items for Scotland's Glass please. (Email using envelope on left of thes post)

Offline DuaneClayton

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
KevH
When I recieved this set it was wrapped all seperatly out of the box so I am not really sure if I re-placed them back in the box correctly. I travel for my work so when I get home I will compair the picture to my box and see if there is a blank spot for something else.

I really appreicate your imput. haha I did wonder eailer if you had bid on this set, now the wondering is solved.

I to have choosen to do the oddities in the paperweight items. My Sweety collects round paperweights and we continue to collect those but my collection is more in these types items.

Duane

Offline DuaneClayton

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Frank A

After I compair placement of these items in the box I will take a picture of it and send to you.

Duane

Offline DuaneClayton

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »
Kev H

After rereading my post I have to say this....... it seemed to me that the way I put my words down was that I was laughing at you for being the second bidder. NOT the case. It was just one of those thoughts that had popped in to my head when I read it, and the funny part was that I had not totally figured that out previously.

Sorry if it offended.
Duane

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
No offence taken. Unless it is clear that somebody really is being offensive, then I read "haha" or "LOL" or a "grinning smiley" as simply an internet way for somebody to show they are relaxed. :) ;D

And Frank is right, of course, that there were other size boxes - in the Ysart Glass book there is a pic of a three-piece set, and it was in what looks like a simple cardboard box, rather than the hinged-box of the larger sets.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
At the time of Blackpool (Trade exhibition) Pirelli announced only four items in this range, so larger sets must have been issued at a later date.

Announced at Blackpool were:
  • Bottle Opener
  • Plain corkscrew (also available as a boxed pair)
  • Can-piercer
  • Auto Corkscrew
  • On my Ysart Glass page these are respectively F006, F009, F005 and F007 (brass) F008 (plated)

When I move that page to Scotland's Glass I will correct the names. Allan and I will need to share our data too, his research was via Lassmann and it appears these were assembled by them and not at Vasart.

This thread really needs to be moved to Glass, perhaps just adding a separate WANT ad in the marketplace?

Offline Frank

• Author
    • Members
      • Glass history
      • Europe
      • Gateway
    Re: Paperweight handle jiggers
    « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »
    While the weights are Scottish these are essentially an English product.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand