No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED  (Read 24606 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »
Well, I've finally come across a photo for the "violett" colour!

:shock: click thumbnail to enlarge :shock:

:

Think this will be of interest to Anne and Max :?:  :)

Photo courtesy of Wayne at 20th Century Glass.

Additionally, I've included Anne's photo to show as a comparison - interesting that the top looks slightly more flared than the others. Please let me know if this is alright Anne, otherwise I'll remove the photo.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 06:28:56 AM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"

I have a feeling this is not a mystery, but among the last pieces designed by Frantisek Zemek, in the three years just before he died. This is most likely from Rudolfova Hut, between 1956 and 1959, as his designs for Hermanova H'ut, Plzen, were much more fluid.
Sorry Ivo, cannot be more definite than that, given the very small amount of contemporary published documentation. Is this large? as recently someone showed me an ash-tray in the same pattern.
Marcus

Sorry it is in storage in the "heavy items" box. I think it is about 20 cm and weighs a ton.  I can believe there would be an ashtray as well - it is that sort of design.... :wink:

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"

Additionally, I've included Anne's photo to show as a comparison - interesting that the top looks slightly more flared than the others. Please let me know if this is alright Anne, otherwise I'll remove the photo.

I've taken another view - straight on this time.  See what you think David.  Apologies for the grey background.  I'm still trying to overcome that, so the colour of the glass contrasts better to show its true colour.  If you want to crop/whiten the background - feel free to do so.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/bohemianamber002.jpg

Regards - Anne E.B. :lol:
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 09:28:49 AM »
Morning Anne,

Ah, just an optical illusion I think (or in my case, an optical delusion :lol: ).

Re. the photos, I simply use a fluorescent strip light with a daylight bulb (about 8") and angle it towards the rear to give plenty of backlight; sometimes I angle the light to reflect off the paper, but the light is virtually always behind the glass. The camera then automatically defaults to daylight mode (no flash) so there's no distracting reflections.

I place the glass on white paper that folds slowly upwards and this helps to eliminate any sharp edge 'horizon' lines.

The only problem is that the photos do need tweaking afterwards as they are a little dull, so normally a 10-20% increase on brightness and 5-10% on contrast 'freshens' them up. You can use a free program like IrfanView – http://www.irfanview.com – to correct any photo.

Hope this helps anyone who needs a simple and cheap-ish solution [I still intend to build a lightbox one day though! :D ]
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 01:23:11 AM »
I like both the vases by Rudolf Schrötter for Rudolfova Huť - I have a few of these in blue, amber, green - but I would like to stick up for the bullet vase - they are just as nice as these and work well as companion pieces in a collection

http://tinypic.com/b7bfvm.jpg
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 11:33:09 AM »
I quite agree David555 - check out my growing collection of 'bullet' vases http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/RudolfShrotterBulletVasesforRudolfo.jpg I just love this type of glass.  :lol:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 01:29:53 AM »
I have recently found these two vases in my collection were made by Rudolfova Huť and probably designed by Rudolf Schrötter (?) - the bases are exactly the same (that deep base rim) and the mould lines are just so that factory (good sources on different forums have advised me ref) - the colour ways are also well compaired - these are heavier and at 7.5" and 9" imposing - It would be good to start a thread on the bits made by Rudolfova Huť  - at the moment bits are cheap but values are set to increase as more info leaks out

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1981
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 04:59:29 AM »
David,

(good sources on different forums have advised me ref)

The first vase may or may not be Rudolfova, and possibly Schrotter.

The second vase, if my memory serves me well, appeared on this board in blue some time ago, and was identified then as a product of the scandinavian glassworks Ruda.

You should also be wary of Schrotter attributions. He was not the only designer for Rudolfova, and also worked in the UK in the 1930s. Other designers' work from Rudolfova already fetches extremely good money.

Simply having a deep base-well does not immediately make a piece Rudolfova, or for that matter any of the major Czechoslovakian pressed  glass works. I have seen this same feature on Polish and Russian glass of the same period.

Also. be careful of this glass as a long-term investment. more than two thirds of ALL Czechoslovakian pressed glass during the period 1948-1990 went to Comecon countries and there is a massive amount of it about. Heppners(London) Ltd, the UKs largest importer of pressed glass from Sklo Union, in the 1960s were importing @ £2 million pounds worth of pressed glass per year at that time.

Respectfully,

Le Casson

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 01:41:40 PM »
True - I take that point  - it's just my feeling that these are Czech and are so finished and moulded in the same way as the waisted and bullet vases - I have to say the bases of both the vases are identical and I can't see the grey one being Ruda - I have a fair amount of their stuff - they came together and I know they are the same company in my bones

Listen all I am saying is at £3.00 each in a proper retro/antique store - they have to be of some investment value even if not by Rudolfova (and remember some Sklo Union is getting OK money, taking into account the generic 'Made in Bohemia' can mean any number of good or bad union makers)

I will stick by Rudolfova for both bits, I do take your point maybe not by Schrotter - I couldn't be bothered to reel off any of the other designers names, I stand corrected on that  :D

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 04:49:52 PM »
Here is a pic of bases of both vases (the ones we are discussing) – tell me if they are not very similar – enough to come to a conclusion – then compare to the bullet and wasted vase bases and you will all se what I am saying here  :!:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand