No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED  (Read 24552 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 06:36:43 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
Hi,

Following are photos of two vases that I believe are Czech – both in a typical chunky glass in a beautiful emerald-green and have ribbed sides with a slight waist.

Whilst out and about today I spotted three short candlesticks (perhaps about 2.5 inches tall) in clear glass with what appears to be the same pattern as these vases. One of the candlesticks had a label on it, saying Bohemian Krystal Czechoslovakia. I don't know if this helps at all. I didn't buy them but if they might be useful I'll see if they're still there when I go back later in the week.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline LynWebster

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2005, 10:44:02 PM »
This is most of a growing collection of Czech I've picked up in the last few weeks. The 2 smallest (pair) ashtrays are pressed & less well-finished than the rest. I added an emerald bowl (match to top right) this morning.

I love it, and soon the rest of the world will too......! I think my favourite's the Amethyst bullet - probably because it's the only one I've ever seen......

Sklounion

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 11:15:15 PM »
Schrotter 3, Matura 1, Zemek 1, Jurnikl 1, Jablonecke Sklo 2, bez autorem 2, but all in all, a nice set of glass.
Le Casson

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 02:58:31 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/vase001.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/vase002.jpg

Thought this vase might be of interest.   I bought it this morning thinking I had spotted another Bohemian vase.  It looked very like my hobnail/pyramid vase and David555's which was discussed earlier in this thread.  However, I was very surprised to find it had Italy impressed on the base, which was revealed when cleaned.  There is also a small five pointed star with a circle in the centre.

I've taken a pic. to compare the two.  
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/vase003.jpg

The Italy vase is cylindrical.  It's hobnail effect is slightly different.  The base is very different with a noticeably deep 1.5cm recess.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/vase004.jpg

It looks Bohemian and I guess I have more questions than answers.  I'm not sure which vase is the older, but assuming that the Czech one is older, were their designs copied or did their designers perhaps take their skills and ideas elsewhere?

I'd welcome any thoughts please :P

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 01:46:44 AM »
Hi Anne

I love this vase, it shows that Italy did moulded glass in the 1960s / 70s very much in the style of Czech (Bohemian) – I have the same one as well which also says ‘Italy’ on the base in raised letters, it is a mystery how J Miller Guide 2004 pp283 has the vase down as ‘Royal Bohemia’ 1970. I presume that the Miller vase was not impressed with Italy on the base, and with it looking like other Royal Bohemia vases it was given the attribution, I have actually never seen this vase without ‘Italy’ on the base so perhaps I am wrong and it is an exact copy of a Royal Bohemia vase, can anyone shed any light on this?

I have very similar clear moulded glass vases with different designs marked ‘Fidenza Italy’ to the base in raised letters c1970 (very similar), the base well is also close. While very similar in type to the vases we have with just ‘Italy’ I cannot say if they are by ‘Fidenza’ as well, anyone know if there is a connection?

There is a very strong connection in the design of your (and my) Italian wavy design vase to the pineapple design and I really appreciate you bringing this into the debate. Marcus is working along the lines of the blue and green Pineapple vases being Czech and I tend to agree, the vase within this thread that he is looking at is the pewter grey vase with triangular moulding and a hexagonal base, I was questioning whether it might also be Czech, but have spoken to Marcus about certain differences and with his extensive knowledge of post war Czech glass, I can see what he means, we are both searching for another country and manufacturer, although I think Marcus is on the better trail and will post on that vase when he is ready.

Thanks again, excellent pictures

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 11:42:01 AM »
Hi Adam,

Thanks as always for your interesting comments.  You are absolutely right - I've just checked in the Miller's book and it is identical, even down to the measurement!?!? :?   It looks good and quite at home with my ever increasing collection of Czech vases :P  (11 bullet vases at the last count plus others :roll:  

Many thanks to you and Marcus for your excellent continuing research 8)  

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2005, 12:29:47 PM »
Adam - just checked the markings on the base again.  In the centre of the star/circle are the initials SF.  I could only see these using a jewellers eye glass.   Fidenza???

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2005, 07:15:54 PM »
With reference to the reference above (in Adam's post) regarding "Royal Bohemia", there have been extensive discussions on this at:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,746.0.html
KevinH

Offline ChrisH

• Members
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2005, 07:44:26 PM »
First of all, what a brilliant resource this messageboard is - I've been through several threads & read every word today - it's refreshing to read constant intelligent comments & insightful debate.

Untangling post-war Czech glass has to be one of the toughest assignments around, but I've seen evidence of more knowledge here than in any article I've read or website I've visited, so it's a privilege to join this forum.

Now hopefully I can add a few nuggets of my own! The first of these 2 images shows a pair of vases I picked up sometime last year. There was the remains of a label on one - 'emia' being the only legible portion, so I'm assuming they're Bohemian! They're 7" tall, & 2" wide including the relief. Interestingly, although they are clearly a pair the pattern is clearly much more sharply defined on one than the other, where the hobnails are more rounded - this I imagine comes from casting in a cold mould, whereas the more sharply defined was likely made later in the day?

The 2nd design I believe is also from the same region: it has commonalities with the Bullet - mainly the base, but it's the only one I've ever seen. There's a very subtle taper (which I hope is evident in the photo, I tried for a perfect side-on shot but it rarely happens!) which levels off about half way down the vase & might actually swing out again before curving to the base, it's hard to tell. It's 7" tall & a shade under 4" at its widest. I'd be interested to know if anyone's seen this pattern before?

Many thanks, ChrisH
ibraries Gave us Power....

Sklounion

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2005, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi ChrisH,
Welcome to the board. Of your vases, are the green ones with a pronounced base-well, or nearly flat? The reason for differing definition could be that one may have been reheated following moulding. I have recently seen these in amber also, but would be hesitant to say which works produced them. Sorry, I have no idea on your blue piece.
regards,
Le Casson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand