No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED  (Read 24735 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 06:46:46 AM »
http://tinypic.com/bdsimd.jpg
http://tinypic.com/bdsizm.jpg

While on topic 'emerald green' - can anybody dowze this triangular one? Same bottom finish as all the other ones, but I think that only says something about the manufacturing process, not the manufacturer. Height 16 cms (that is 6.3.4" for the metrically challenged).

Is it Sklo or is it Lasi?  :roll:

Sklounion

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 07:32:28 AM »
David,

With all due respect, I still do not think that the second of your vases is Czech, but then what I know about post-war, communist-era,  Czechoslovakian glass-making, can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Le Casson

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 07:18:46 PM »
Ivo ref your triangular vase - feels czech - it's moulded in that certain way and those simple angular shapes with the thick glass and deep base rim - I would say czech - but why Sklo Union and if you knew - what maker - I have a lot of union glass with simple label 'made in Bohemia' (not the Borske Sklo labels) on it but its like a generic Murano label - is there a thread on here for the miriad of makers and labels coming from Sklo Union?
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 08:14:39 PM »
I have the utmost respect for Ivo, the man who knows so much, but is unafraid to ask, likewise Nigel Benson, Bernard Cavalot, Kev Holt, Glen, Adam D, Frank Andrews...... all leading and acknowledged experts in their field and willing contributors to this board. I am quite happy to walk in their shadows.

There are no cliques here. What there is, is an unerring desire for accuracy.

respectfully,

Le Casson

Sklounion

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 05:54:37 AM »
Czechoslovakian pressed glass post-war, a couple of recent observations.

When a design is known to have been made at a particular glassworks, it is not safe to assume all pieces in that pattern were made at that factory.

An example. A pattern by Milos Filip was put into production at Sklo Union's Rosice glass-works as vase #602. I have documentary evidence showing that the matching glass candle-stick (#2058/5) and ashtray (#2045) were produced at the Nemsova glassworks.

This may have been for one of two reasons. The first, simply that there was not sufficient spare capacity to make the complete range at one factory. The second, that the pattern was trialed at Skrdlovice, and then transferred, as a pressed glass design, and shared between the two factories, a situation not uncommon there.

The second observation is that often a contemporary source rarely gives the whole picture. Raban for example clearly states that a pressed glass container came from Rudolfova Hut in one colourway, a clear non-lead crystal base with green lid. Yet the same pattern, by Josef Soukup, number 13093, which was introduced in 1960, was offered in the reverse colourway in 1964.

The difficulties experienced due to centralised planning and control of the economy often meant shortages of materials, and thus simply because a source states "available in six colours", it is not necessarily the case that examples can be found in those colours.

Regards,

Le Casson

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 09:09:08 AM »
That's a very good point: we tend to assume Western standards, but the Communist era did impact on supply & demand through the East European countries and certain materials used to colour glass wouldn't be exempt from this. No point scrabbling around trying to find all these examples then, when they might not exist!

Marcus, can you e-mail me?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Sklounion

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 01:58:07 PM »
As regards Ivos' vase, I have an image in a Czech catalogue, Frantisek Zemek, published by CMVU 1963, which appears to show a variant of this vase, from what appears to be an odd angle. Despite that, IMHO, it is the same vase.

Base-wells.

"Simply having a deep base-well does not immediately make a piece Rudolfova, or for that matter any of the major Czechoslovakian pressed glass works. I have seen this same feature on Polish and Russian glass of the same period. "

However. given the images of the two base-wells in particular, the green one appears to be typically Sklarny Inwald NP/Filled &Pressed Glass National Corporation/Sklo Union output. The second appears not to be as deep as usual. That coupled with the external decoration are the reasons for suggesting that this is Scandinavian.

Regards,

Le Casson

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 03:34:55 PM »
Personally, I greatly value Le Casson's opinions, which have always been clear, concise, authoritative and unbiased. Where the information is not to hand, this has been clearly stated. I also know that Le Casson has a great deal of accurate historical information to hand and does not work from divining rods, joint aches or certain fluids passed from the body (as in; I have a feeling in my water...)

Additionally, I greatly respect the other authors, writers and collectors, et al, who frequent this board and give their time to give considered views. I also enjoy the cut & thrust of informed debate and as a relative newbie to glass collecting will freely admit to making mistakes here, that I will acknowledge with good grace.

So carry on giving me your excellent advice, Marcus, I certainly don't have a problem with that :wink:

Now, what were we talking about...? 8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

vidfletch

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 01:13:19 AM »
Ok, right, there's no Ruda vases that I know of there in all of that thread!

Bohemia Glass bullet vases. Nice and very common. I have had a few with the Bohemia Glass label on them. Quite often mistaken for Whitefriars vases! Don't know why!

Vidfletch :D

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 01:32:35 AM »
HI Marcus and everyone

I was out today and picked up these two vase - same as my green one

http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/pin%20blue2.jpg

http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/base%201.jpg base

Also in same box was this vase that seems to be by same manufacturer

http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/blue%20flower.jpg

http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/f%20base.jpg base

I hope this adds to the debate on the vases

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand