No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED  (Read 24392 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Re: Emerald-green Czech vases - REVISITED
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 09:34:43 PM »
Hi Anne

Sorry for not getting back, I have been working (sigh!!)

J Millers Collectable guide 2004 pp283

Now see an explosion in published interest with three whole pages in the 2006 guide pp332 – 334 (I don’t endorse price guide attributions, but this is a three page feature with paragraphs all on Sklo Union glass)

On page 332 there is our mystery vase again with a definite attribution to one of the Sklo Union factories. All but one of the 19 pictures has been supplied by GC which stands for the ‘Graham Cooley Collection’ I am not sure if it is a private collection, it looks like it may be

It is Graham who provides the confusing wavy line mystery vase. It has caused me to do some research. It would appear different markings appear on the base of two vases in raised letters a) ‘Italy’ with SF b) ‘Fidenza Italy’, c) there is also third version with no markings at all

This is a link to the ‘Fidenza Italy’ vase – see Anne’s post for ‘Italy’ version
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/sklo1.jpg
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/sklo2.jpg base markings

I have Graham Cooley’s email and will use it, as we have two vases with ‘Italy’ to base (I am sure now that Anne’s vase is also Fidenza, just a different marking?) and think that the vase with no markings could either be by Fidenza as well or perhaps there was a design sharing thing going on between Sklo and Fidenza Italy at the time (well :? ). I have emailed the Fidenza Company who now make glass blocks for interior designers and they tell me that they made these vases in the 1970s along with many other designs
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/fidenza.jpg both Fidenza, amazing differences in the design, the one on the right is deco and has a aqua tint to it, it is marked ‘Fidenza Italy’ which is in the Emilia Romagna area of Italy

In the meantime if anyone has any information, please post. I will get back after Graham emails me with info (is he on the board already?)

I get the feeling he is big in glass research, in fact reading the article I know he is! http://www.cambridgeglassfair.com/exhibitors/interviewarchive/int-cooley-graham.htm

I get pages with articles about Whitefriars and Stennett-Willson by Mr.Cooley, but nothing much on Sklo Union

I will also try picking his brains as to who put together such extensive research on Sklo for the price guide, I would love to scan it and link to it but that is copyright breach and I want to ask his help

I am sure there is a lot of his input in the copy – most of it is backing up the excellent posts that Marcus has initiated or contributed to on the GMB

‘In 1965, the Rudolfova Hut, Hermanova Hut, Libochovice, Rosice, and other glassworks were incorporated into the ‘Sklo Union’, the Czech national glass manufactory. The name ‘Royal Bohemia’ or ‘Bohemia Glass’ are labels applied by importers and exporters to Sklo Union glass’

There are six more paragraphs along with a lot of writing next to each picture; I am too tired to write it all

Designers names are given and even pattern numbers

There is a quarter page given to the ‘Bullet’ vase

Included are designs by Frantisek Peceny for Hermonova (Dragon Head Vase), Frantisek Visner designs, Rudolf Jurnikl tapered vase for Rudolfova (patt no.13155)
I own some of the vases pictured

A Rosice candlestick by Vladisav Urban
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/vu1.jpg

A Sklo Union vase first made in 1925 and still used up until late 1970’s
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/1925.jpg
Here is a good point the book makes (Marcus has been telling us for years) ‘It is estimated that in 1965, half the moulds being used in Sklo Union were of pre-war origin’ It may look old but they continued to use a huge amount of designs, what looks deco may be 1970s’

A Sklo Union vase that may be designed by Vaclav Hanus
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/vh.jpg

The Pineapple vase - tapering cylindrical with moulded hobnail like pyramidal prunts
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/sklo3.jpg

There are many more, and this time unlike in 2004 it is at pains to state many vases have ‘Royal Bohemia’ labels on but as said this is the importer label not the manufacturer within the Union

I know it’s very little new information for the hardcore Czech glass researcher, but this is a popular book and will clearly increase interest in the area

This one was in the 2004 edition; I presume it is Sklo even though it is not in 2006 edition
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/royalboh.jpg

Here is one not in the book, I posted a few weeks ago and am looking forward to research http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/bluflower.jpg

I am sure there will be much more to look into. Marcus is fantastic and I don’t know anyone with more knowledge, a lot he has said is ‘BANG’ starting to get attention, I would like some of these guys like Graham Cooley to come onto the board as it takes the heat of everyone asking Marcus and I know he is busy with research.

All this is great for the seller/dealer I know, but I am not bothered about that, things are starting to come out and that is good for research, prices will find there own level in time I believe

I agree with Kev H have a look at the posts he has linked to above, the information Marcus gives is amazing, now all we need is a book on Sklo!! (no pressure Marcus, it’s just I would buy it LOL)

I hope I have not made too many mistakes or offended anyone in this post and please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2005, 10:15:53 PM »
Thanks Adam, for the blush-worthy praise.
However, I should point out that for the 2006 Millers guide, I did act as their consultant on Sklo Union and as you rightly observe, many of the pieces came from the collections of Graham Cooley and Mark Hill.
There is a major problem with the vase of which you speak, seen elsewhere with the Italy mark. This is genuinely believed to have originated as a Teplice vase, probably designed by Vizner. Hearsay, as unreliable as it is, suggests that this was "copied" by Fidenza, possibly within months.
If there are errors of attribution, they are mine, and not the responsibility of Millers Collectables. All pattern numbers that I supplied are traceable.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2005, 10:29:04 PM »
Hi Adam,

My goodness you've been busy!  Really interesting stuff 8)   No wonder you're tired :P  

Coincidentally, just browsing through new (to me) websites earlier tonight and recognised your  blue Sklo Union vase.  Unable to understand German, but here it is - click on no. 23 http://www.designhandlung.de/sites/start_g.php Some other interesting pieces also.

I'm just about to get my hands on Millers' 2005 book, but will have to get  their latest too :P .

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2005, 10:37:14 PM »
Marcus

I wondered why the J Miller 2006 section on Sklo was so good, congratulations I am so glad it was you, I thought it was so precise and will now dispel so many of the myths, but imagine a whole book (yum)!!

Ref Italian vase

This is genuinely believed to have originated as a Teplice vase, probably designed by Vizner. Hearsay, as unreliable as it is, suggests that this was "copied" by Fidenza, possibly within months.

Sounds good to me, I am not going to question your research, this will be the reason for the vases with no markings, what a great story I wonder how many other Fidenza vases were copied from Sklo or other sources, Fidenza did a great job, nice heavy crystal like glass, but now you tell me the story I see the base is different on the Italian ones, the base rim is not ground down (this is the same with all my Fidenza vases), is that right? I have not got an unmarked Sklo one on me (or I can’t find it in all my boxes) but I am sure the base rim is ground down in typical Sklo fashion

Well done again, I hope people buy the book as Sklo Union is such a good section and gives so much information in three pages, the bullet vase info is top notch, but all the other stuff, I can't believe I had so many of the items you referenced  :D

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2005, 10:41:14 PM »
Thanks Anne

That is a great site, thanks

Isn't the Sklo / Fidenza vase story amazing - Marcus is really on the ball, I wonder if our Fidenza versions are worth more - after all they are Italian :wink:

Adam P

Sklounion

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2005, 10:43:30 PM »
Interesting site as you observe, Anne, but item 74 is clearly identified in the Crystalex publication Bohemian Glass  1985, (image 143) as being the work of Oldrich Lipsky, @ 1960, rather than Hlava, as stated here, but this site is not alone in making that attribution.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2005, 02:16:29 AM »
Quote from: Anne E.B.
Coincidentally, just browsing through new (to me) websites earlier tonight and recognised your  blue Sklo Union vase.  Unable to understand German, but here it is - click on no. 23 http://www.designhandlung.de/sites/start_g.php

There's an English version of the sites too Anne 8)

Moderator:  Site links no longer show this piece
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 01:15:23 PM »
Update after archiving:

Quote from: "LeCasson"
The items identified as Frantisek Zemek, are definitely identified as Frantisek Vizner (vase and variants) and documented in Warmus’s book on Vizner

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2006, 05:04:16 PM »
Hi All.  :D

I found this vase today and I think that it is Sklo Union. I have been to Marcus' site to look, but some of the photos aren't loading for me.

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:

Any and all is appreciated.
TIA  :P

Contrary to the photos, this piece is actually yellow
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2006, 06:30:49 PM »
Hi Della, I have a lilac one the same, I'd say it was definitely Sklo Union but I'm sure you'd like to hear that from Marcus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand