No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cute little Bowl( Amber)  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Cute little Bowl( Amber)
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:54:12 PM »
This little bowl / ashtray as s swirl one side where the other is just turned, i presume this would have been made for one person, so for the individual nice quality and quaint more for a lady i think. possible Czech or Swedish would you say stands 2ins high 4.5ins in diameter polished pontil was found and bought with the Caithness vase i posted. for a mere £4 am in the process of setting up a site to expose my finds on the unsuspecting people of this world  >:D well got to give some one a laugh ;) adding a photo of my glass finding spree today. everyone can get a sigh of relief for the next few days because i am busy laying the floor for my shed, at the bungalow. and laying the tiles in the kitchen.  ;D dont all  :hiclp: at once please. Cheers for all the help.
                                                            Steve

Offline Gilead

• Members
Re: Cute little Bowl( Amber)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:39:18 AM »
Hi Do you think this could be murano with its little flower curl and the smooth pontil? any help appreciated. on this little bowl please,

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 03:18:20 AM »
Yes, I do believe it's Murano glass.
Shannon

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »
Hi Shannon
                i thought it might be, have you any idea, by whom and when please, have looked on loads of site's and links but not found much of this size, have taken a good look on www.retroartglass.com also www.20thcenturyglass.com but no luck i have even looked on http://www.thenet.info/muranoglass/vetrerie.htm any help is as always appreciated.
                                                                                                                steve

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:30:57 AM »
Yes, Murano, but impossible to date or attribute to maker. Many companies, some, famous, Fratelli Toso and Barbini, for example, and some less famous made shell-type bowls like this. As Andy McConnell writes in Miller's 20th century Glass ( a book I think you'd find very useful), Murano makers "routinely copied" each others' work, believing they were paying a compliment to the other designer. Another book that would help identify the Murano you come across is Pina's Italian Glass: Century 20. I found having these books saved me a lot of internet searching and helped me develop a better eye for picking out glass.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Another good Leslie Pina book i use all the time, is  'circa Fifties glass from Europe and America'
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand