No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: green cased clear tapering vase - ID probably Caithness  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
green cased clear tapering vase - ID probably Caithness
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »
Would you say this is whitefriars vase stand 9.1/4ins high or 232mm high tapers from 2.5ins at rim which is polished, to 3.5ins where you see the colour in the glass at the bottom. polished pontil have taken a look on whitefriars and it looks awfully like a Geoffrey Baxter one on the 1969 cat, but also the 1957 cat, your comments please.
                                                              Steve

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: green cased clear tapering vase - ID probably Caithness
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
looks more like Caithness than Whitefriars, to my eyes at least.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
Cheers Steven never thought of that, but no you mention it, it doe's well the ones i have seen on ebay anyways,

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:47:28 PM »
totally agree with Mosquito - my first gut feeling was Caithness.  It's not a Whitefriars shape I'm familiar with and the colour isn't quite right for Whitefriars either - what is the WF pattern number of the vase you think it might be Gilead?

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
Hi Pip
        the pattern number i was looking at was 9653, from 1969 cat and the 1957 cat number 9492.
                                                                                                                                   Steve

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
It does look very like Caithness in colour and shape. Pkay6 has one similar with a Viking ship design on here: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/pkay6/Caithness_Engraved_Viking_Ship_Vase.jpg
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »
Hi Pip
        the pattern number i was looking at was 9653, from 1969 cat and the 1957 cat number 9492.
                                                                                                                                   Steve

Once you've handled a few pieces of Whitefriars you'll get the feel for them but I can confirm to you that your vase is neither of these designs.  Firstly, the 9653 from 1960 is much more tapered at the rim and is very thick and heavy (I've owned a few of these) - it wasn't produced in green either - so you can count that out.  The 9462 from 1957 is 10 inches in height, yours is too short at just over 9 inches, and is a different shape so you can count that out as well.  As said by others on here - your vase screams of Caithness.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
Pip
    thank you very much for the second opinion always best to be sure as the doctor said to the nurse,  ;) PS do we know what yr about please.
                                                                                                                                                                                            Steve

Sklounion

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
You might find the shape there but catalogues do not go back very far for vases yet, only 200 or so listed. So you might not match the colour or be able to date it.

Caithness used the same shapes for many year with different colourings and decoration given new patter numbers and range names. Generally the shape name appears to have been constant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand