No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Victotrian Organic Form Vase - Hobbs Brockunier ?? ID = Kralik  (Read 2934 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I am thrilled you did......  :kissy:    :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

After looking at the feet again, they do look more like the feet on some other Bohemian thorn vases I have sold in the past. I had to go into my old picture archive from several years ago to look, but they had the same sets of parallel lines on them....

I guess that I associate (no longer) those type of green feet with English glass which, as I have said before, I don't know anywhere near as much about.  The Bohemian pieces I have had with feet have all been simpler, straighter lines, basic colors and more linear forms.

Alfredo sent me an image of his vase which has been in his collection for around 20 years, and it turns out it is not identical, but it is definitely the same house that made it. The top on his is not crimped, but more in the form of a flower done by shearing the top vertically. The flow of colors including the feet up through the body into the mouth, the types of glass, and the application of the red are all done in the same techniques.

I am still a little shocked, and totally reminded what an amateur I really am when it comes right down to it.

The more I think I have learned, the more I realize I really don't know......

I will post an image of Alfredo's vase on here if it is OK with him.

Also, a belated thanks to Dave, Mrvaselineglass, as he suggested that direction earlier and I never thought to forward pics to Alfredo at that time... I guess I was still in denial......   :-[  I had been thinking English for so long I just wasn't getting it!

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
The vase dates, as I suspected to the 1890-1900 period. I am attaching an image of the Kralik vase from Alfredo's collection which confirms the attribution.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Opalescent Victotrian Organic Form Vase - Hobbs Brockunier ?? ID = Kralik
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
I wanted to add, as this thread came up in a discussion in another forum, that I am now of the opinion that it is Bphemian, but I am not so sure that the Kralik attribution is correct. My Welz research and more years of looking at Bohemian production like this has had me arrive at the conclusion that far too much Bohemian production like this has been easily attributed to Kralik.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Opalescent Victotrian Organic Form Vase - Hobbs Brockunier ?? ID = Kralik
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »
I probably missed this thread first time around. I do not know if this will help, but ...

Although not a match for all parts, I have a vase (Jack-in-the-Pulpit type) with what I believe is the same rim finish, with 20 swirled crimps and very similar colouring. The blue on the underside of the rim is not as obvious as in Craig's item but is clearly of the same overall look.

The body of my vase is a regular opal colour, and not translucent in normal viewing, although it does have a hint of "fire" with strong transmitted light. The foot has a basic, and "hollow" cracking off scar on the underside.

I bought this in England in the early 1990s. I do not know where it was made, but some years ago I saw a very similar example on the internet described as being by an American company, the name of which I was convinced I would remember ... but sadly cannot!

Searching today for "glass crimped rim vase jack pulpit oxblood" shows several items with a fairly similar look. Unfortunately, most of the links I tried were dead. There were a couple on eBay (which will disappear) and some on "Pinterest" - a site which, for me, just wants to cover my screen with a "mask" which tries to lure me in to signing up!

There is, however a JiP vase on Ruby Lane which has the same swirled crimped rim (albeit in a single purple colour) and a translucent opal body.

My vase, shown below, is 6 inch (15.2 cm) diameter at the rim, 6.5 inch (16.5 cm) high and 3 13/16 inch (9.6 cm) daimeter at the foot. When held by the rim and tapped on the body, it gives a non-ringing "tinny" sound.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand