No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Womble "Clown" figure!  (Read 3745 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Murano Womble "Clown" figure!
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:59:33 PM »
Can I just say one thing first?

I DO NOT COLLECT THESE THINGS!  :twisted:

However, I often get passed them to sell on behalf of my local Antique Dealer and I know some people collect them.

OK, that's out of the way... but has anyone ever come across a glass WOMBLE?! I always thought the Clowns and end-of-day figures were mainly from Murano and would have dated this as c.1960, but as the Wombles didn't really catch on until around the early-1970s that blows a hole in this theory.

But it is definitely Venetian (if not Murano) according to the slightly rubbed label, which states 'Venetian Glass Company' and does exhibit age. Strange that the Muranese glass makers caught onto this Womble trend, but perhaps they were trying to entice British tourists?

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Now... am I confusing our overseas members by mentioning "Womble"?  :lol:

:

Lastly, does anyone know about the theory of the so-called 'scorpion' marks that feature on the buttons of the Clowns? Apparently this should signify them as Murano clowns from 1950/60s as opposed to the later Chinese copies.

I also have several glass animals from the same collection, all showing similar age that I might require help on and will list these later.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Murano Womble "Clown" figure!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 01:08:55 AM »
:lol: It may exhibit age, but it's not great Uncle Tobermory! :lol:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken