No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hen-on-Nest Swedish Milk Glass  (Read 6428 times)

Offline SAS

• Author
  • Members
Hen-on-Nest Swedish Milk Glass
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:21:03 PM »
Dear Readers,
Does anyone know of a Swedish glass company that made milk glass after 1945?
Thank you.
Shirley in Charleston, WV

Anonymous

could you specify "milk glass" please
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 08:54:31 PM »
Gullaskruf and Eda for certain.
Ivo (posing as a guest)

Offline SAS

• Author
  • Members
Swedish milk glass
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »
Dear Ivo,
If you are Ivo Haanstra, allow me to thank you for your wonderfully complete and authoritative book, Glass Fact File A-Z. Although the teeny, tiny print challenges my old eyes, it is worth it.
The reason I asked about Swedish milk glass is that a friend recently purchased a milk glass hen on nest dish that bears a label that says "Made in Sweden." This is the first time I have ever seen any reference to glass hen on nest dishes being made in Sweden.
Since it is so easy to mislabel something, I wanted to try and verify if any Swedish company had made pressed milk glass items.
The hen dish that my friend bought closely resembles the von Streit #640 ("Plumed Warrior") covered dish except for slight variation in size, detail of tail and feathering, and the footring of the base being without any design whatsoever.
I know very little about Swedish glass. About all I know is that most of their glass is of the "arty" (modern-looking) type, that it is usually clear, mostly blown. I do not know if they made covered dishes. The only glass animals that I have seen from Sweden are figurines (one-piece).
It is difficult to research glass hen on nest dishes (and probably any glass item) since one soon runs out of material to look at. There seems to be only a finite number of company catalogs, wholesale dealer catalogs, books, and magazine articles. One hits a blank wall quite quickly.
Thank you for your reply.
Shirley in Charleston, WV

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Hen-on-Nest Swedish Milk Glass
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 07:33:35 AM »
Thank you Shirley, very kind of you.
Just as I thought "cannot be too difficult to look up in the PK files" I find out that I have misplaced the Hovmanstorp, Eda and Reijmyre documentation I thought I had.
What I DID find in Pressglaskorrespondenz (04/2000 - with an extensive article on hens-on-the-nest on the cover) was an article about pressed glass in Sweden.
I read there that Reijmyre was the first producer of pressed items in Sweden, starting in 1836, soon afterwards followed by Kosta and Eda. Reijmyre remained the predominant producer of pressglass.  Only few items were marked, so it is almost impossible to find out who made what. It is also nearly impossible to tell what country it was produced in as press forms were imported from France and Belgium in high numbers. Items which were published in the 1850s were still being produced at the turn of the century, so dating is equally difficult. And although quite a number of items are depicted in the article, none of them are attributed to a particular manufacturer.

I'm not sure if all the archives are online, check http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/  (and brush up your German).
best
Ivo

Offline SAS

• Author
  • Members
Swedish glass, etc....
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »
Dear Ivo,
I should have known that Siegmar would have information on his PressGlassKorrespondenz site! I am in the midst of studying German to try and access all his carefully documented information. It is not easy, at my age, to deal with past participles and irregular verbs! The study of glass certainly leads one off into a lot of other areas, doesn't it?
My maiden name is "Arnhart." Some in our family say it is German; some say it is Dutch. Perhaps if it is German, I will have an inherent ability to pick up German more quickly. (very big grin)
Most, if not all, glass hen on nest dishes are made of the type of lime glass that was in use after 1867. I have never been able to document whether they were produced before that date in lead glass. (They have been produced in 24% Pbo in the 1970s, and in the 1990s and currently by a company in Czechoslovakia.)
I shall follow up on the leads you have so generously given me.
Thank you very much for your comments.
Shirley in Charleston, WV USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand