No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Pantin (monot, stumpf) glass salt? ID = Stumpf, Touvier, Viollet  (Read 18519 times)

tigerchips

I've had this hand blown pink glass salt for years & wondered what it was. It is 2in wide & 1.5in high. It has a vaseline style effect to the rim & a gold lustre in the centre. It also has streaks running down it. :?:

Pics gone, similar here, scroll to item 6034

[Mod: Pic added back 28 Aug 2015]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Is this a Pantin (monot, stumpf) glass salt?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 09:15:08 PM »
:D Hello, I'd be curious too! I have a similar thing, but straight sided and no gold lustre. Sometime/somewhere, I can't for the life of me remember when/where, I saw mine identified as Stumpf, Touvier and Violette. I don't collect this kind of thing as such, and got it just to have as an example of it. (if you know what I mean!) 8)  :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
Bravo, Tigerchips, you have an entirely correct attribution!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:24:36 PM »
:D:lol::shock::lol::!:
Oh my golly gosh!
Thanks Ivo!

Now:-  

What is a stumpf, a touvier and a violette?

Where is/were stumpfs, touviers and violettes?

When were/are stumpfs, touviers and violettes?

Why were/are stumpfs, touviers and violettes?

How were/are stumpfs , touviers and violettes?

I forked out £20 for mine.

Did I get a bargain?
Or was I robbed?

I haven' t been able to find them in anything, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. (A couple of words answer would do - I was posing the questions likw that more for effect than anything else :oops: !)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 11:37:33 PM »
Tsk, tsk ... seems somebody doesn't have a copy of Ivo's mini-masterpiece: "glass fact file a-z". The answer to those questions (and hundreds of others) is in the book.

:D
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 07:40:15 PM »
:D:D:D
Well, I went into town today and ordered Ivo's book.
Not because I think it's worth buying a book to find out what this little bit of frilly, pink, vaseliney French Victorian-era glass is, I'm not really that interested in it, but because I think it's worth supporting Ivo's sales as a thank-you for all his contributions here. I am sure it will turn out to be relevant to many of the things I am interested in!  :D:D:D
Although Dundee has one of the world's top Art Schools (Duncan of Jordanstone), it is still a bit of a cultural backwater and any books on this sort of subject have to be specially ordered - I don't use Amazon as I don't use/have plastic money.

Frank, :idea::idea::idea:  KevH's comments made me think a bit. Could we not have "Sticky"'s at the top of the Market Place forum, giving brief overviews of the books written by our author contributors, and where we can buy them / ISBN's for tracking them down? We are getting lots of new members all the time and they won't all know how many authors there are here, and I'm sure it must get tedious to keep on repeating the information for every new person. Instead, folk could just refer people to the forum. :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

tigerchips

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 10:03:21 PM »
Many thanks for your help.  :)

I'm selling it dead cheap on ebey since it has an imperfection. Actually, I didn't know whether it was an imperfection in the manufacturing process or a crack. I often see these imperfections in victorian glass but I don't know if they have a specific name.

The crack or whatever doesn't come all the way through to the other side. surely if it was a crack, it would be on both sides.
How can you tell the difference between the two? :?

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 09:50:50 AM »
What you describe may be a cooling crack - also euphemistically referred to as a "heat check". It may be contained within the glass and may not actually be able to felt on the surface of the glass at all. You can usually see a line of light refracted off these "heat checks" if you angle the item toward a light source.

As an aside, on pressed glass, there are marks that people sometimes think are cracks - these in fact are "shear marks" (also euphemistically called "straw marks") which are caused by the cold shears cutting the hot glass gob as it falls into the mould. This is a short explanation for a slightly more complex event(s).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 10:48:59 PM »
Thanks for your help.

I wonder how many collectors at antique fairs just walk away thinking it's a crack.

If I'd seen the imperfection before I purchased it, I probably would've chucked it back on the shelf. This was about 4 years ago when I knew very little about anything. I just thought it was a cheap piece of carnival glass. Boy, was I wrong. :lol:

The thing that attracted me to it was the gold lustre and the various pinks and purple's you can see in it.

A few weeks after the purchase I realised that it was hand blown rather than pressed.

So I did the wrong thing and went to a local auction house to get it valued. Apparenlty, he didn't know what it was either. :o

Heck, he didn't even know that a glass vase I showed him was Whitefriars. He said it was Checkoslovakian. I eventually found out that it was a Whitefriars "Chess" shape vase and sold it for £70 on Ebay.  :D

And so here it is, up for sale on Ebay and at £16.00 already.

If anybody has any cheap pieces of carnival glass out there give me a call (just kidding)!  :lol:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 08:00:34 AM »
No, no.....if anyone has any cheap pieces of Carnival Glass out there, give me a call.  :lol:  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand