No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther glass bowl?  (Read 5241 times)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Walther glass bowl?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 07:13:57 AM »
Hi again,here is a quick pic I took of the bowl on top of the fish candle holder as you can see it fits perfectly to complete the Neptun comport,obviously the correct base has a ruffled base.Thankyou once again!
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
Hi again,here is a quick pic I took of the bowl on top of the fish candle holder as you can see it fits perfectly to complete the Neptun comport,obviously the correct base has a ruffled base.Thankyou once again!

So glad I could help, It looks great!
Regards,
Barb.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 06:47:50 AM »
I'm not convinced. Pamela shows the Neptun bowl as this, which has different panels and pointy bits, and has design elements in common with Poseidon here

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:27:11 AM »
Hi there,there are probably different variations for example in the catalogues the Poseiden bowl is shown on the Nymphen comport base and also on the 3 graces comport as well as its original Poseiden base as in Pamelas pages.I have the catalogues on cd and it definately shows the bowl on top of the fish base and is titled Neptun I will try and down load the picture to show.Thanks for your reply.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
My doubt was not about what the bowl is for or where it goes, but whether it really was a Walther bowl, particularly as Marcus gave you a different possibilty. Pamela's bowl is distinctly different and she doesn't attribute without evidence. I've now found the catalogue here, page 8

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
Looking at the catalogue in Christine's post above, page 8, top left quadrant, what appears to be the same bowl is shown as Walther Neptun. Unless evidence is elsewhere to the contrary, I'd think that's a pretty good match. 

Pamela's Nepun green set looks to be two different greens on my screen - is one uranium and one not I wonder, or is it just my screen?

Marcus' comment was based on the similarity to known Czech pieces.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »
I meant to say I now agree its Walther. Looking further through the catalogue, there seems to be confusion about what some of the figures are called and what the bowls or bases are called. The name of a figure in one bowl is then applied to the bowl on its own, then the same figure appears in a different bowl with a different name. Looks like they needed a good sub-editor!! Too late to apply for a job I suppose

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »
Hi to all contributers to this subject I would like to thank you all for your kind and hard work in researching the origins of this bowl,its good to know there are people who put the effort in.Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand