No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green vase - SU or Lausitzer... or? - ID = VEB Sachsenglas  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Green vase - SU or Lausitzer... or? - ID = VEB Sachsenglas
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9768
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9769
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9771

Heavy, pressed vase from a 4-part mould.  Indented pattern of isosceles triangles.

8" / 20 cm tall.

Unpolished top rim.  Flat-ground base rim, with star moulding in the centre of the base.

My thinking is Lausitzer or one of the SU factories, but I've never seen this style of base before.

TIA for any help.
Chris

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Re: Green vase - SU or Lausitzer... or?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
Bump!
This one's really annoying me...

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:18:49 AM »
I think we're all as stumped as you are Chris!  :o  It doesn't look like an SU piece compared to those I've seen. That base is quite distinctive.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
The only thing I have that comes even close is a Kensington jug of Alexander Hardie Williamson's for Sherdley - one of the designs that Heidi rooted out on a visit to Broadfield House.   

That has a base with 6-pointed star and a bullseye centre.

But I've never seen anything from Sherdley in green, although I have proof that they did grind bases flat if the moulding went wobbly...    :(

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:26:19 AM »
Hmmm I've not seen anything in that green from them either Chris but the base similarity is interesting...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »
Chris, well done to bump it up  ;D (obviously I had overlooked your quest back in April, sorry)

It's most probably VEB Sachsenglas, Ottendorf - ONLY appeared in their 1965 catalogue
pattern name is 'BERLIN' # 51794 (or similar - bad small copy  >:D )
height 20 cms
no colours mentioned

see PK 2003-1-anhang-4 page 11/12

it's not on pavillon-site because I haven't got one of it   8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »
Woo-hoo!  Thank you, Pamela.

I've just checked it at
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/VEB-Sachsenglas-1965.73.0.html
and you're quite right about the number. 

It's interesting that the vase above it in the Sachsenglas catalogue, Lyon, also appears in the VLG Lausitzer catalogue of 1969.  I have one of these in purple, also the Lausitzer Gent vase from 1969, also in purple. 

Is purple indicative of Lausitzer or Sachsenglas, or did both produce that colour?

I see that you've added a few more catalogues to the site since I last visited.  Oh dear, I guess I shan't be doing anything useful this evening, then...  :P

Take care

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
Chris, happy you, happy me!
Sometimes happily I feel, all of you do know very much more about Saxonian glass than I do - I do not mind, as long as you share :clap:  ;D
Purple colour: Only very few items in my collection, unable to graduate makers. VSL basketeur is my favourite of course, but also Poland and Schreiber Neffen came along with this rare to be found colour...

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »
VLG Lausitz must have overtaken a lot of Walther and Brockwitz too - all the rest - if not disturbed, went to Russia I presume :o
Pamela

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 04:34:09 PM »
oops, sorry  :ac1: instead of disturbed wanted to say DESTROYED!  :spls: :spls2:
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand