No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help with stick vase - applied vase - cased vaseline over pink S&W?  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Educational usage specifically excludes a public posting of such an image, a tracing is OK, as is a full reference to the book, page and plate number.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Warren, that is awesome!  What an odd, nifty piece!  I wonder if the bottom was suppose to hold something, like a centerpiece display of branches under the vase - or something.

Frank — Christine is doing far better than me — I've lost it completely.   I had thought that casing and flashing were two different glassmaking techniques, not that they were differentiated by their purpose.   Also that casing and flashing could take place inside an object.   Also that gathering happened just the once.   I can see that when the parison (hope that's correct) is returned to the pot for more metal (hope that's correct) to be added, I shall have to learn Italian to find out whether it's a second gather, being cased, or being flashed.

At least I have encalmo sorted out, 100% rock solid.   Iestyn Davies explained it to me.

Bernard C.  8)

Bernard, you're right, they are different techniques (sort of).  You can flash or case glass by dipping your object in glass, but flashing is a much thinner layer.  Casing can also be done by cupping, in which one bubble is blown into a cup-shaped (bubble with an open end) piece of glass.

A parison (partially inflated gather, before it's been shaped) can be returned to the same pot for more metal, but at that stage it would probably be done to increase the thickness of part of it, or add something to the end.  To be cased, I would think there would have to be a contrasting layer somewhere, but it could just be something like the opaque threads of Warren's vase.

Looks to me like the sides of a ribbed mold was lined with white rods, the pink blown into the mold, the vase then twisted and dipped (cased) in a layer of green. 
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
I'm also interested in finding out more about this type of glass, as I have a number of example in my collection, some with, & some without uranium. The factor in common is the cased glass with stripes inside.
Here are some of mine:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9789
Ignore the vase on the left, its the right hand one that I'm referring to in this instance. Cased glass with stripes & applied uranium decoration.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9790
This vase & jug do not contain any uranium, but share many design characteristics, thus suggesting a similar origin. The applied decor is pale pink. I also have (sorry no pics) a fancy candleholder & a round footed bowl (sadly missing its lid) in the same design.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Email received - they certainly look related.  :clap: Marinka's pink-trimmed vase is certainly another close cousin to the vase in Das Böhmische Glas. Perhaps you could send her the scan for info

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Many thanks for the scan!  :)
Very interesting. This book looks excellent. Looks like another one to add to my "to buy" list.
So I can pencil these items of mine in as being Bohemian, if not Harrach, then.
Anything in this particular book on peloton glass, by the way (to move only slightly off-topic)?
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Galle

• Members
Nothing in this book (actually, a seven volume set of books in German) about peloton, but I can tell you something you may already know - that the process was created by William (Wilhelm)? Kralik, who worked at the Harrach glassworks at the time - this is not the same Wilhelm Kralik whose sons had the firm Wilhelm Kralik Söhne - the Kralik we know as "Kralik". Dates are all wrong, so it was a different guy. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand