No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lemington glass vase with label - R. Stennett Willson  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Lemington glass vase with label - R. Stennett Willson
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »
I thought I would put a picture of this one on in case anyone is collecting labels for Lemington glass or for R. Stennett Wilson.  I am happy for these pictures to be used elsewhere if it is of any use to anyone.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Lemington glass vase with label - R. Stennett Wilson
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:49:24 AM »
Hi,

I think it's actually a sherry glass rather than a vase, they came in multi-coloured sets of six...for the record it should also be Stennett-Willson with two L's.

Nice find they're lovely glasses and are relatively rare, partly because of a short production run and partly because they break very easily (like an osram lightbulb) if you knock them over!

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »
Having studied the label through a loupe, I can now see the second L in Willson - how amazing, I have been selling  his Wedgwood candlesticks for ages and didn't know that :)  It looks as though a good deal of people on the internet don't know either, as his name calls up far more hits spelt with one L.

It being a sherry glass makes far more sense - thanks for that :)

Do you have any idea of how much these normally sell for?  I haven't seen one before and want to get it priced up and into my cabinet.

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »
Stenett-Wilson, Stennet-Wilson, Stennett-Wilson, Lemmington, Leamington,....

I think anyone who has owned glasses from this range knows how nice they are but the market is quite small/cool at the moment...from memory I think the book price is usually around £80-100 for a set of six, on ebay (if you can find any) they tend to sell for around half that.

BTW. the V&A has a set of these.

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Thank you, that is very useful :)

I think I may have paid over the odds for this one, but it will fit in nicely with my display of ruby Whitefriars glass in the cabinet, which doesn't seem to sell well for some reason but always looks pretty.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:26:31 AM »
They're lovely - I have a set of the smaller Lemington harlequin glasses.  The spelling of his name is unusual so I'm sure you've forgiven for accidentally omitting the extra 't'.  What does surprise me however is the number of people who put an 'e' in the middle of Wedgwood.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »
Wedge wood is like judge ment - it seems illogical to leave the e out of either, but judgment is correct for legal contexts and US English

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
I have to admit I always put an e in Wedgwood and then have to go back and take it out again.  The e just seems as though it should be there :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand