No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: NUUTAJARVI NOTSJO AND KAJ FRANK???? perhaps ...  (Read 8002 times)

Offline christranslates

• Members
NUUTAJARVI NOTSJO AND KAJ FRANK???? perhaps ...
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
I have three small triangular art glass bowls which I think are Finnish by Nuutajarvi Notsjo, designed by Kaj Frank in the 1960s (have I spelt all that right?!) and two large beakers/vases which seem to be exactly the same colours and quality as the two bowls in front of them (see picture). Are these two vases the same manufacturer and or designer? and am I right on the bowls please?  :huh: :) Chris
Chris

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: NUUTAJARVI NOTSJO AND KAJ FRANK???? perhaps ...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
Yes the salts/small bowls are definitely Kaj Franck for Nuutajarvi and I've also had these with an Arabia sticker on them.  Re: the glasses, can we see a base shot please, I've had some Kaj Franck glasses that these look very similar to but I'd like to see a base photo before commenting on them.

Offline christranslates

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
Here they are, they're not very good I'm afraid and I had to adjust the light after, so no longer a true colour. If not good enough I might do better in daylight.
Many thanks, Chris
Chris

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »
They look OK to me but maybe it'd be easier if you compared yours to a set I sold in my shop some time ago (hope it's OK to put this link to a sold item here?)...  Anyway, they were bought by Martyn (I think - sorry my memory's terrible - and also IDd by him)...

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass/sold-glass-2/showitem-BTUMBLERS-SIXHA.aspx

Offline christranslates

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Thank you for that link that's excellent, yes they do look exactly the same. Now I know what I'm looking for I'll have to check through the rest, but sadly I think there are only these two, not a great set like yours. Thanks very much, Chris
Chris

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:52:53 AM »
(hope it's OK to put this link to a sold item here?)...

Yup no worries about doing so, Pip.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »
You'll need to check the size but I think the glasses are from the 'Luna' range designed in 1971 (often confused with the earlier 'fasetti' glasses)...the bowls are called 'Häränsilmä' (Bullseye) designed circa 1956 also commonly called 'nuts bowls' 'chestnut bowls' originally sold in sets of six and available in a range of sizes and about ten or twelve different colours from memory.

Pip... I dont think I bought your set? but my memory is not so good and I have had quite a few sets so maybe I did...

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
Pip - I bought yours  8)

They're the right shape for the larger size of "Pressed Glass Series 1", c.1954 (produced until c.1968). They should hold 35cl.

I've only ever seen photos of the Luna glasses but they look to have a more rounded bottom and less angular sides. The size given for those was 21cl (from Kaj Franck: Muotoilija, Formgivare, Designer).

robbo
robbo

Offline christranslates

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
Thankyou EVERYONE and yes they hold 350ml (= 35cl I think) therefore "Pressed Glass Series 1", c.1954 (produced until c.1968) thanks Robbo, and Pip and Martyn K. Sadly I do only seem to have two.
Chris
Chris

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »
You're welcome Chris. 

Sorry Robbo - I'm dreadful for names but I knew it was someone I knew from the board :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand