No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allan Scott 's paperweights  (Read 15664 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Allan Scott 's paperweights
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 08:21:49 PM »
Hi Allan,

Sunday afternoon will be the only chance for people not staying over to Monday or arriving on the Friday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Allan

exhibition
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 08:22:31 PM »
Hi,
   It's me again,just to say I meant that the gallery was only going to get the weights for two weeks after the exhibitions official close on the 23rd of july.I had forgotten the convention dates but I will let them have the weights untill it is finished and you have all headed for home.I really should check my diary dates before writing anything, lol.
                                       Allan :?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:28 AM »
:D Hello,
I was in the Strathearn Gallery yesterday, and I saw that "Ozone-3-layer", "Mother Earth" and "Aqua" are by Harry McKay.
I didn't see "Fireflower", but it has a "look" that makes me think it might be too!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 09:04:07 AM »
'Fireflower' is one of the pictures Fiona sent to me as one of Allan's, but 'Hot Berries' was in the Exhibition Catalogue as Harry McKay's  :shock:  :?

Perhaps Allan will pop in here again and explain for us :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »
Allan does the lampwork and Harry the weight. Stunning pieces.

http://www.ysartglass.com/Scotglass/AllanScott.htm

Allan

Me and "WEE" Harry
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »
Hi ,
    Thanks Frank for posting the explanation about Harry and I.I always seem to be thanking you for something lol.To everyone else,as Frank says, and I should of said,I design the weight and make the lampwork and Harry whom I have worked with at Perthshire paperweights,Jay Glass and now Caithness,inserts the lampwork into the glass.The way we work is that we split the weights between us for the exhibition.I have worked with other glassmakers at Caithness to do "one-offs", one of which can be seen on Franks web page on me.The"Victorian bouquet" is a design I made for the Caithness Glass collectors convention,I worked with Shona Spittal to make all my "one-offs" for the convention last year.
    I hope this clears up the confusion I caused by not explaining before.

ALLAN  :roll:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 12:15:34 PM »
Just wanted to say a few things to anyone who may be thinking of buying one of Allan's weights:

1) IMHO Allan is the best lampworker in the UK and his work is VERY collectable.

2) These weigts are ONE-OFF's and are worth every penny of what they cost!  

3) There is a wonderful scheme called 'Own Art' which allows you to pay over 10 months with no interest!  

4) You will never regret buying one of these truly beautiful works of art!   :shock:

5)  Allan is a really nice man :wink:

OK - sales pitch done  :oops:  :roll:  (and I'm not even on commission!  :lol: )

Leni
Leni

Allan

overwhelmed
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2005, 09:37:53 AM »
Hi Leni,
          WOW!,thanks for that,Much more of those kind of comments and I might start believing that I actually know what I am doing.Seriously,it is great that people like what I do and are kind enough to say it.It definitely makes any artist,in any field,feel like they are lucky to do something with so much "job satisfaction",when they get that kind of feedback.
          I dropped into the "drinks meeting party"to meet Frank face to face last night at the Ysart convention..what a good idea that turned out to be as I also met Ray and KevH so I now have faces to put to 3 of the names on the message board.The convention looks like it is going to be great,I met a lot of interesting "glass-nuts", Ray  and his wife Julie were really nice people as were kev and a couple from Glasgow,the Mathesons,(I hope the spellings right).I wish I had had the time to meet everyone,everybody seemed to be looking forward to the event.Good luck to Frank and Alice McLelland with their organisation of it all.
            I had better go now as I am off To my Nephews wedding.Thanks again Leni for your "PR" job on me,lol.
                                     ALLAN :D

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: overwhelmed
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 11:52:07 AM »
Quote from: "Allan"
Hi Leni,
          It definitely makes any artist,in any field,feel like they are lucky to do something with so much "job satisfaction",when they get that kind of feedback.

Artist to artist, they are superb. :D

Quote from: "Leni"

2) These weights are ONE-OFF's and are worth every penny of what they cost!  
4) You will never regret buying one of these truly beautiful works of art!    
Leni

Seconded :!:

....thinking of taking up lamp-working.....how long would it take to learn? :wink:
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Allan

Lampwork
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 10:10:09 AM »
Hi aa,
        Thanks for the comments on the paperweights,it is nice to hear from a fellow glassworker.What kind of work do you do?,you will have to post some images on the message board so we all can see.To answer your question on how long it would take to learn..To do the type of work we do at Caithness Glass,I would expect a new trainee to take about 5 years to get fully trained.It all depends on the individual though,some people never pick it up,some do really well like Linda Campbell who works with me now and was doing her own designs after only a few years.There are obviously a lot of different styles of lampwork and lots of other things you can make by lampworking,not just paperweight designs.Again,how long  these different skills would take to learn would depend on the individual and the amount of practise they got.Not exactly a precise answer I am afraid but I hope it is of some interest.I look forward to seeing some of your work.
               Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand