No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: paul ysart cap badge carboot find  (Read 3132 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
paul ysart cap badge carboot find
« on: September 18, 2005, 08:22:51 PM »
i got this one today from the carboot , 3"across, the cap badge is an ASC badge "Army Service Corps" these were WW1  1914-1918, what time frame these PW'S were made? it also has one of  side cut and polished so the weight can stand up is this normal?

Kev, i think it was you who mentioned about the pitting on the bottom of weight's to Dave moir in Perth, i can't remember what he said,

click image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paul ysart cap badge carboot find
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 12:44:50 AM »
Hi Ray,

The time frame for the Paul Ysart badge weights is thought to be 1930s. These were made as personal requests and were no doubt in the category of "beer money" weights.

It is quite normal for a side cut to be made in order to allow the weight to be viewed in its "upright" position. I think that side cut examples are fewer than uncut ones.

As for the "pitting" question, I raised that with Dave Moir as I had a theory that perhaps the pitting seen on many Vasart weights could date them as early period. My thinking was that the pitting was caused by the not-too-efficient "moving tray" method of annealing used in the early days at the Shore Works. But my understaning now is that such pitting can occur whenever or wherever an item is in contact with "bits" of some form while it is still hot. Even some Paul Ysart weights show a degree of pitting (and I should have noted that before I raised my question with Dave).

Incidentally, there are opinions in the paperweight world that at least some badge weights like those attributed to Paul Ysart may well have been made in Belgium!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand