No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another mystery ...  (Read 1449 times)

Offline MsMouse

• Members
Another mystery ...
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »
Hello,

I am new to posting on the board, though I have been reading it for a bit.  I just picked this up today on an auction, and am wondering if anyone might have some idea as to what it is.  I am guessing, European, but keep going 'round and 'round as to where. 

I have many that I've tried to identify, this is just the latest.  I won't receive it for a bit, as I will be off vacationing next week.  When I do get it, will try to post more pix.  Yes, I know, the bottom!  And the shape, etc.

Thank you in advance.  I have enjoyed reading this board, and have learned so much. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Another mystery ...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:14:29 AM »
It looks Chinese to me.  A good Chinese copy of a Clichy setup.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:47:44 AM »
When you provide the additional pics, please also give the diameter and height.

I agree that it's Chinese - based on the typical style of canes. But this one is of a better quality (in terms of the cane setting and colour balance) than the usual gift items that can be found all around the world.

Anybody have any idea on how old this one might be? Is it an indication of a new wave of better quality items, or have these been known for a while?
KevinH

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »
If the base is polished it's definitely one of the new ones. I've seen that ground colour in a few new Chinese weights but it's generally a 'spatter' not a smooth ground.

Very nice piece!
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MsMouse

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
Ah, Chinese!  Those blue canes do look familiar!

I had thought, perhaps Murano, but that didn't fit, quite.  I do like the Clichy set up, and the colors, and not a bad buy for $12, I guess.  One of these years, I will hopefully acquire a real Clichy or two.

Thank you all for your informative posts.  Will try to post further photos later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand