No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: caithness vase or lamp base?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
caithness vase or lamp base?
« on: July 30, 2005, 01:33:59 PM »
could this be caithness?, got this one off ebay, it stands 4.5" high, it's been very well done it has an engraved ship on the front but the way the glass makers done it  looks like it's in rough seas with blues purples and greens and at the top of the vase blue for the sky, it's signed on the base COG DC CG

Images have been passed to Frank for the Scotland's Glass site, but may not have been uploaded at the time of writing 30.1.09.
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 08:58:46 AM »
well it is caithness as Allan Scott said below

I showed the pictures to Helen and Gordon and they confirm that it is a Caithness piece.The DG above the CG stands for Douglas Cowie.. Cithness Glass.Douglas worked for us from the late 70s to the late 80s.Gordon thinks that the piece dates from the early 80s.the design is a sandblasted stencil.They think the vase was a design sample that never got issued.How it got on the market,who knows?.I would imagine a lot of things found their way out of the Wick factory on their own steam,especially when it was closing down.We are still puzzled by the CoG mark,none of us remember it being used ,so we think it must be something Douglas used for his own information.It might of been for the design or something.I hope this helps you somewhat.
cheers Ray

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 09:34:43 AM »
Ray

just a point

The C and G of CoG.. look totally different to the CG presumably for Caithness Glass.......almost as though they were from different hands maybe??

regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
hi Gareth

now you mention it, i can see the diffrence now, if not by the same hand who could it be?
cheers Ray

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:13:28 AM »
Would Douglas have both blown the glass and done the engraving?  If not, is it possible that the COG was put on by whoever did the bit Douglas *didn't* do?  

How about getting back to Allan to query this?  

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand