No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Geode?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Murano Geode?
« on: September 08, 2005, 05:24:09 PM »
And finally... gorgeous small bowl or ashtray..4.75" wide, 3.75" deep. 2" high, looks green mostly, but in bright daylight, turns an interesting shade of pink!!
http://tinypic.com/dhalw9

Wouldn't mind help with value if I sold it too , please.

Anonymous

Murano Geode?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:44:50 PM »
Murano glass from Italy, circa 1950s. The green glass is probably uranium "vaseline" glass.  Could be by one of many makers, with Cenedese being the leading candidate.

Laura F

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Murano Geode?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 01:33:02 AM »
I believe these are commonly called geode bowls, intended to look like geodes, which are sphere shaped hollow rocks in which crystals have grown. They are sold sliced in half and polished to expose the crystals. The bowls are far less tacky than their inspiration!

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Murano Geode?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 08:35:12 AM »
I don't think vasleine as that would not show pink.
The design of these large geodes is very clever. I have one similar but round and in different colors. From the side it looks blue and
also from underneath yet from above the walls glow green
It has taken me quiet a while and a lot of twisting and turning at different angles to work out how mine is done.
With mine there is a very thin layer of deep blue in the centre surrounded by a very thick layer of very pale green.
From the side the blue shows thru the pale green frpm above the centre looks paler turqoise-ish blue because of the green background and in the wall the green is concentrated by the shape of the bowl and there no blue to tint it.
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Murano Geode?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:56:37 AM »
I love the geode bowls and Peter yours is FAB. Now Cathy "TACKY" really!!!  I am so wounded. I live near Geode State Park and Iowa is famous for our geodes. Why we even had one gentleman here in town who constructed the walls around his property from opened geodes. Alas since torn down, but that is progress. As with everything else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ok I admit I have one, you can't live here and not have at least one. Now if I can just remember where I put it. I know its here amongst the glass somewhere.
Back to the geode bowls, they really are one of my favorite types of murano. I also wonder if Vid's could be uranium. Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand