No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tommaso Buzzi.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline sandymae

• Members
Tommaso Buzzi.
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:35:20 AM »
There are a few Murano bowls being listed as being designed by Tommaso Buzzi on our New Zealand auction site, Trademe, I've emailed the seller, and they have replied back that her bowls are from the artist, I think it looked more Fratelli Toso. Has anyone got 20th century glass by Judith Miller which she says has photo's of his work? :huh:
I know Buzzi was with Venini in the 1930's, and have seen some of his work, but not sure if he designed the ones she has listed, which don't seem to be his style.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Tommaso Buzzi.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:50:25 AM »
I checked the bowls and agree with you that they are not Buzzi. Buzzi's art glass career was not long and his style was distinctive. Marina Barovier has a good sample of a few of his works at http://www.barovier.it/novecento/novecento_frameset.htm.

I recognized a couple of the bowls on the Trademe site. I would comment, but with the auction in progress, I will stop my hands from rambling on. Your instincts are right to doubt the Buzziness of the bowls.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:58:51 AM »
I have this book, and there is only one image of a Buzzi piece - it's a bowl with pulled rim, described as "opaque white glass interior and orange glass exterior cased in clear glass and with gold foil inclusions." (dated c.1940).  The bowl says Buzzi contributed a "range of designs" for Venini which included "formal shapes with applied decoration" along with "cased organic forms" some of which had the aforementioned gold inclusions.  The one in the book does not directly match any of the seven I looked at on Trademe, but as there's only the one shown it's not really sufficient evidence either way. BTW sandymae, check your email for a message from me with 2 small images attached. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
looked at some of the bowls and they are all generic.
1 of them, the small pink doesnt look Murano to me.

Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline sandymae

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »
Thanks everyone, I thought they were generic, I've had a few of the same bowls in the past, and sold them, good to know I haven't sold "Buzzi Bowls".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand