No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz, Walsh or something else? ID=Walsh 'Mother-of-Pearl'  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Loetz, Walsh or something else?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
Quote from: Bernard C
... Vesta Venetian can be found in Walsh Mother-of-Pearl and other styles.   The salient feature of Vesta Venetian is that it was ribbed, twisted, and then ribbed again using the same dip-mould, usually 18-rib, giving the effect of threading under vertical ribs.   The first example and the second shallow bowl are both (also both 18-rib, also the foot on the first looks to be 16-rib, as expected);  the second posy is Walsh Mother-of-Pearl, but not Vesta Venetian.   Fielding's text is slightly confusing;  possibly either a semicolon or exchanging the two descriptions would have helped. ...

All this was rather naive of me — I should have realised that as Fieldings gains experience as auctioneers, their use of auctionspeak (a language very similar to eBayspeak and eBayfeedbackspeak) is becoming more sophisticated.   With this in mind, you will see that their description of the posy in lot 670 doesn't actually say anything, so it's impossible to criticise them in any way.

Yesterday I examined both lots that Nigel mentioned for myself.

Lot 652 is fine, a lovely example of Walsh Vesta Venetian in Walsh Mother-of-Pearl, sadly missing its brass flower holder.

Lot 670, the "shallow bowl", is trickier.   It isn't Vesta Venetian — the apparent threading effect in the photograph on the sides of the central well is, I think, just a trick of the light.   Yet I'm certain that it is Walsh Mother-of-Pearl, although the opal layer has been stretched so much as to be almost invisible, and it is 18-rib.   I believe it was made as an underplate for a smaller version of the vase in lot 652 by the Vesta Venetian team, and so could be considered a Vesta Venetian accessory.   So, in a roundabout way, Fieldings' description was more or less accurate!   Am I being too generous?

Lot 670, the posy, is much easier.   It is not Walsh, but an unfortunate piece of heavy mould-blown rubbish, optimistically married up with a rather nice but ill-fitting brass flower holder that has lost its original vase.   It is one of two pieces that shouldn't have been included in this auction;  the other being the sphinx with a huge lump missing from one corner.   Their only saving grace is that they make all the other 807 lots in the auction look wonderful!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »
Quote from: Bernard C
... Lot 670, the posy, is much easier.   It is not Walsh, but an unfortunate piece of heavy mould-blown rubbish, optimistically married up with a rather nice but ill-fitting brass flower holder that has lost its original vase. ...

I could be wrong!   See this eBay listing for an apparently identical posy.   Perhaps all their flower holders are a little loose.

Anyone want to lend me a bigger shovel?   Or a JCB, perhaps?  :-[

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
Just keep on digging the way you are, Bernard.  It's good for the cardio fitness... and I'm learning ever such a lot!  :D

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 05:32:57 PM »
Im just digging around in Steuben, found this nice item, just thought you might like it :D
http://steuben.com/acb/product2.cfm?section=37&subsection=0&group=all&product=1482

Andy :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:57:53 AM »
Lots of cross-cultural exchanges in the 1900s...   ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 06:40:36 AM »
Andy — Fascinating.   I've not really looked at Steuben glass before, and it's interesting comparing it with Walsh.   I can see that I will have to read the book on Frederick Carder.   Thanks.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand