No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Books - Why Buy Them?  (Read 45194 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Vintage Books - Why Buy Them?
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »
Don't be put off by Dusty Tomes! (whoever he is!)

Quite often overlooked, but a great source of information for vintage glass, is the out-of-print publications: in this context I date this type of book prior to 1980. They can be a wonderful resource for collectors, vendors and researchers as they provide a contemporary source of information. Here are three notable ones that I have:

1946: English Glass, W.B. Honey, Collins

c.1955: Making Pottery and Glassware in Britain (reprinted from various Pottery Gazette & Glass articles), Scott Greenwood Publications (arrived today!)

1956: British Table and Ornamental Glass, J.M. Angus-Butterworth, Leonard Hill Books Ltd.

Plus a whole bunch of The Ideal Home and Decorative Art annuals that provide good glimpses into glassware of that year.

While many of the books listed above are illustrated mainly with monochrome photographs, do not let this put you off! The majority can be picked up quite cheaply from Abebooks.co.uk (or .com) and other online booksellers.

Mods: While this can be eventually moved to the new 'Book' forum, initially it will gain more exposure here to benefit others.

Any more that can be suggested, which I should buy? :-\
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Vintage Books - Why Buy Them?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
I enjoy "vintage" glass books too.

One of my favourites is:
"Iridescent Glass" by Larry Freeman (introduction by Frederick Carder). 1956, 1964. Century House, NY

Then of course, if 1981 counts as "vintage":
"Decorative Victorian Glass" by Cyril Manley. 1981. Ward Lock

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
1920 - Irish Glass An Account of Glass-Making in Ireland From The XVIth Century To The Present Day, M. S. Dudley Westropp, M.R.I.A., Herbert Jenkins
[ Yes, I know, an original is not easily found and it usually costs a packet if you can find it ... just thought I'd admit to once having parted with a good sum of money in my quest for information!
But it was apparently reprinted in 1978, so maybe I could have saved some money??? ]

1955 - English and Irish Cut Glass 1750 - 1950, E. M. Elville, Country Life

1978 - Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments, Barbara Morris, Barrie & Jenkins

And for good, solid, basic info ...

1923 - Glass-Making in England, Harry J. Powell, C.B.E., Cambrdige University Press

1968 (reprint of 1849 publication) - Curiosities of Glafs Making, Apsley Pellat, The Ceramic Book Company
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
I have just enjoyed the the Country Life Pocket Book of Glass by Geoffrey Wills, Country Life 1966

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
The Glass Industry of Germany during the period 1939-45 by Prof H Moore, The final report that was based on the detailed report already in the Glass Study and five others. So a good rounding off. Also kindly donated by David for the Glass Study, the earlier report being donated by Christine. Thank you folks.

It gives a good insight into the glass technology of the period, as well as some of the international relationships.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
I like the Glass Collector by Percival, informative but also quite amusing it is so emphatic in its views...

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »
My report was on the UK industry  :huh: , wasn't it?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
My report was on the UK industry  :huh: , wasn't it?

Oops yes it was  :-[

Board of Trade, Working Party Reports, HAND-BLOWN DOMESTIC GLASSWARE, 1947, and it is partly used as an example of the Glass-Study contents http://www.glass-study.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=145&Itemid=7

and also discussed here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17918.0.html

Pellatt's - Curiosities of Glass Making is also lined up for full digitisation in the Study too.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
A little more diverse, but to anyone interested in industrial glass, such as me, then:

Glass in Architecture and Decoration, 1937, by Raymond McGrath & A.C. Frost

Massive book (on par with Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass, but 664pp), measuring 24 x 32.5 x 5cm. Plenty of monochrome photographs. Being on the cusp of Modernism, this particular style does feature quite heavily, in particular some stunning engraved glass examples. One example is a sandblasted decoration to a window of polar bears, by Eileen McGrath (presumably related to the author - does anyone know?)

Can be bought through the usual online sellers, such as Alibris and Abebooks for about £24 upwards. (Also check the .com variants)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline jcherepy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vaseline/Uranium Glass
    • USA
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »
Free ebooks at book.google.com

Glass by Edward Dillon, MA - First published 1907

Collecting old glass, English and Irish by Sir James Henry Yoxall - MCMXVI (for you non-romans, 1916  :) )

Vitage enough for you?   ;D

That's all I've found so far.

Bill
Grayson, GA USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand