No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Books - Why Buy Them?  (Read 45200 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Vintage Books - Why Buy Them?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
I've just found some real treasures.

"Dominic Labino: A Decade of glass Craftsmanship 1964-1974", a small booklet of images of Labino's work produced by Pilkington, the V&A and Toledo museums. Pub '74-75

"Visual Art in Glass" by Dominic Labino, an Art Horizons Series book, pub. 1968

and Geoffrey Beard's "International Modern Glass" ('76) which contains the most amazing images  (B&W) of tons of Whistler's work - so it doesn't matter that they're B&W!

I did get another book, but I don't know what to do with it really, because I think it's in Czech.

So it's available to anybody here who can use it, I'm quite happy just to pass it on. ;D

Published in 1948 by Aventinum, writen by N. Melnikova-Papouskova, it is called
"Skleneny sen Ludviky Smrckove"

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
Thanks Bill, and welcome to the GMB! Nice to see a few with a US perspective, if you find any.

I'll have to go through my library and update with a few more I have since found.

English Glass, W A Thorpe, pub: Adam & Charles Black, 1949 (1st pub in 1935) is another.
I guess the later version is better given all the updates that would have been included.

I could go to more with books dating to the 19th century, but the topics are rather specific!  ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »
Always picking up old books on glass...The Peacock & the Lions by Shelagh Murray...bought on Ebay as was my Raymond Slack English Pressed Glass 1830-1900....Collectable Glass by Jane Douglas 1st published in 1961 and Glass Art Nouveau and Art Deco by Albrecht Bangert a Christies Colectors Guide ..Victorian Glass by Betty O'Looney published by Victoria & Albert Museum...all three picked up in various bookshops in Hay-on-Wye. But I also pick up old Auction Catalogues, usually in charity shops!!  ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »
personally I don't consider that members who live in or near to Hay-on-Wye should be eligible to post here  -  they have access to a far great selection of books than is fair to the rest of us ;) ;)

If I'd known better then I wouldn't have bought Daisy Wilmer's 'Old English Glass (1910 I think).

today I was offered a copy of Westropp's 'Irish Glass ....", but since I have two copies of Phelps Warren's similarly named offering (the better revised volume), I didn't go for it  -  was that a mistake??

and coming back to comments made recently about books..............both of RSW's books  -  'The Beauty of Modern Glass' and 'Modern Glass' are well worth the money if you're into mid C20 ish modernist/Scandi material.

and the other recent comment was re the Studio publications which started life around 1890 and continued to somewhere around 1960, I think.
Only b. & w. pix, and not that many of them, but if you can get the volumes cheaply enough they cover both glass and ceramics, with those from the earlier period showing interesting Powell material  -  plus they're great if you like nouveau and deco design.

I think Dusty Tomes was a friend of Max Headroom and Polly Filla ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »
knew there was something else.......

I have Kenneth M. Wilson's volume one on Mt. Washington glass  -  but I can't seem to find a copy of volume two  -  has it been published yet does anyone know, or is it simply far more scarce than the first volume???

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
 ;D Shall I have a look for it next time I am in Hay-on-Wye ???  ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »
by all means do  -  but judging by volume one, it won't be cheap.             But seriously, can't imagine you'll find it  -  I certainly can't see it on line anywhere.

I've had a life long love of browsing 2nd hand book shops  -  could spend all my days in them  -  in fact looking at the interior of my house believe I have.                          Have always meant to visit H-on-W for a day or so, the trouble is finding the space in the house for whatever I bought - and buy I would. ;D
Certainly if you see any volumes of the Studio, let me know, and I'll make the trip.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:09:19 PM »
You would probably need a week to browse all the bookshops in Hay...some are so large and higglypiggly I usually lose my husband for a few hours in one shop...while I browse the charity shops and the excellent antique centre for glass...perfect day out all around... ;D I will have a look next time we are there we usually go a few times a year.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
I am off to Hay today will have a look... have you tried this website excellent for books and catalogues on Glass.....http://www.books-on-collectables.eu

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 01:10:21 PM »
I have Kenneth M. Wilson's volume one on Mt. Washington glass  -  but I can't seem to find a copy of volume two  -  has it been published yet does anyone know, or is it simply far more scarce than the first volume???

Well ... Amazon list it, but with it having just two pages! However, you can always try here and pay a mere $44,648.20  :o

Fortunately, the seller does appear to have a change of heart, but it's still $954. Rather confusing as it looks like Alibris have muddled Vol.I and Vol.II
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand