No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Vase German??? Signed with Umlaut 16"ish  (Read 4803 times)

Offline sarahanddaniel

• Members
Re: Large Vase German??? Signed with Umlaut 16"ish
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 08:12:07 PM »
 :chky:
okay, I now know that it has hobstars and pinwheels and diamond cut. Here are a few more shots.
Sarah

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »
Pardon my iggerance.
How about Stuart, pre the introduction of the acid-etched signature in the mid 1920s?
Kny was cutting for them German-style before then, and the signature looks like Stuart if you ignore the umlaut.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sarahanddaniel

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
Chris - I have been out of town for a couple of with with no internet :P so, sorry for the late reply!
The signature does look like it could be Stuart! Thank you! I will keep looking with this in mind.
Sarah

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 05:39:40 AM »
Great stem and foot!  Interesting, very nicely cut piece.

Hmmm, is this another case of different US/UK terminology?  I don't seen any of what we call hobstars.  And I've been wanting to ask about what you all think of as a pinwheel, too.  In the US, the first motif shown below is a hobstar, and the second a pinwheel.  I believe I've seen the first one called a pinwheel by the British, though.  US Hobstars have many deep cuts between the points of the star, creating facets on the "hob" in the middle (the photo makes it look sunken, but it's actually raised).  There are as many facets on the hob as there are points in the star.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sarahanddaniel

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
karen -
    Thank you for the info! I really don't know what I am doing and I guess it is obvious! :chky: I am still a little confused about hobstar and pinwheels though. I am reposting some of my pictures on this page so I can compare them with the ones you posted. I understand about the raised hob, but why aren't these pinwheels? I am so lost.
Sarah

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
Your top photo is, by the US definition, a pinwheel.  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't right about that.  The other major motif on your piece (shown in the other two photos) is called a flat star.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sarahanddaniel

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
Oh! Thank you! Okay so I what I know about it is that it has pinwheels and flat stars and diamond cut. I have looked at hundreds of signatures now and I cannot find one that looks like the one on my vase.
Sarah

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand