No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An almost forgotten US glassworks  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: An almost forgotten US glassworks
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 06:54:53 PM »
Frank that was not your mistype. Spencer & others do have Carney, KS so I decided last night to attempt to search the historical database for KS to find AGC, however the database had no such location as Carney, KS so I left the database to Google Carney, KS & imagine my suprise why nothing came up except two possibilities, Kearney & Caney KS so my belief is that we have been duped for a number of years regarding the AGC location. Nothing like a known reference screwing up a manufacturer's location where a geographical location (city, town, village, etc.) doesn't even exist. Rather stunning to me anyway. I'll see later what I can find under the other two possibilities. Ken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Maybe you can trace Haley or Lowerwitz's descendants?

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
Sorry if this is a repeat, I haven't had a good nights sleep for 3 nights...[LINK REMOVED].

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
Thomas E. A. Dugan was in Caney, Kansas, after Lonaconing, Maryland, and prior to joining the Anchor-Hocking firm. I recall seeing this in an issue of the American Flint magazine.

One might query the staff at the Rakow Library at Corning and have them look in the files compiled by J. Stanley Brothers.

Incidentally, the "information" on Dugan on the knottywood-treasures web site is really rubbish, simply copied from an early edition of an inaccurate Carnival book.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
I emailed the Caney City Administrator & The County historical society as I found at one time at the turn of the century when KS natural gas was dirt cheap Caney did have six glass operations, but three were window glass. Hopefully I'll get a response either way.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
I am beginning to believe this entire "American Glass Company" deal is fictitious. While I did find a couple of companies by this name they had all come & gone prior to 1920. The Caney Valley Historical Society only were able to locate four glas companies that existed from the 20's until the late 50's: Cheynne, Baker Brothers, Caney Window, and Caney Glass Plant & none of these it seems produced glass animals & no record of an "American Glass Company" in or near Caney. Haley had connections with Consolidated & Phoenix (he married the president of Consolidated's daughter) as he worked as a design engineer there from 1928 to 1934 & from 1933 to 1936 he had an agreement with Phoenix for a percentage of sales from the Consolidated molds as he legally owned them when his father Reuben passed in 1933. Phoenix made some Reuben line pieces for him later on for his & Herman Lowerwitz's General Glassware distibution company plus Herman is listed as the President of the American Glass Company so I'm beginning to think AGC is simply an in name only company & not a glass producer unless Lowerwitz was involved somehow with one of the glass plants in Caney &  invented AGC as a paper trail entity. I'll speculate that Haley simply farmed out the pours to whomever could produce for his distribution company, not unlike an L.G. Wright operation. What is amusing is that several resources excluding Spencer's cite AGC as being located in Carney KS, a town that simply does not exist. Of course there is the possibility that Dorothy & Toto were from Carney & only Dorothy & Toto made it back. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand