No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Knobbley Vase(Whitefriars?Liskeard)  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Knobbley Vase(Whitefriars?Liskeard)
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
Evening.
              I came across and bought this vase today with two other piece's i am hoping it is Whitefriar's knobbley vase, by Harry Dyer, and not a Liskeard by the brother jimmy Dyer whom went to work for them in the 70s, i am thinking it is the Marine colour which is Blue green it stands the 5"1/2 high which is the height or could it be a Liskeard.

the pontil is ground and polished. as it should be, the weight is 3lb 5.3/8oz or in good money, 1kg 521g.
It feels right so could someone just take a second look for me please,
                                                                                             Steve

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Knobbley Vase(Whitefriars?Liskeard)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »
Definitely Whitefriars, looks to be pat. no. 9843, as shown in the 1974 catalogue (available from www.whitefriars.org). From your pics I would say the colour is Kingfisher blue.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
And in Kingfisher, not Marine...

Snap!

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »
Thank you
               Steven & Nic, could have bought this last wk with another vase which looked very nice too but i held back, glad i went back today now. The other vase had been sold, some times in a different  light it takes the colour green? my other half says it looks Turquoise. my 4th piece now of Whitefriar's  :hiclp:  ;D cheers
                                                  Steve

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
Steve, the knobbles on a Liskeard are quite different from those on a Whitefriars and that's not to mention the giveaway LG impressed into the base of a Liskeard piece - so the two items are, in reality, very easy to tell apart even to the novice. 

However, what I really wanted to pick you up on was your comment about hoping it was a Whitefriars and not a Liskeard.  Having sold quite a few pieces of both types of knobblies I can assure you that they're both lovely items and sell at virtually the same price - I'm happy whichever I find but I have to say, and no offence to the Whitefriars enthusiasts here, I think the LG knobblies have the edge from a decorative point of view.

Below are links to a sold LG knobbly vase and LG knobbly bowl you might want to take a look at the extra photos to see the difference in the knobbles (they have a circular 'blob' in the centre) and the LG base markings for your future reference (the purple bowl in particular has the clearest base mark photograph).

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass/sold-glass-1/showitem-LISKEARD-VASE1.aspx
http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass/sold-glass-2/showitem-LISKEARD-BOWL1.aspx

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:20:06 PM »
Hi Pip
        my comment was merely meant as i thought it was Whitefriar's and was there fore testing myself to see if i was right, as it's turned out i was right. and as you say i am a novice.

Thanks Pip for the photo's to help in future reference for me, there were some other pieces of glass at this little shop, and i am 65% sure they are Whitefriar's  so  must take a long look at the catologue's on the Whitefriar site before i go, next time proberly friday.

So if any have the LG mark i will snap them up.  ;)
                                                                    Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand