No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where has all the British glass gone?  (Read 10858 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Where has all the British glass gone?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 09:30:07 AM »
Auctions listed in Hong Kong do not show up in searches worldwide, probably because of language, has anyone with the ability to type in Chinese tried searching? Ivo found Chrisms auctions in HK by searching in Singapore I think...

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
I know that when I do a search for "gaelic" on ebay.com, ebay.ca and ebay.co.uk I get much of the same items, but not entirely.

Carolyn

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 03:07:09 AM »
You've just been using ebay UK and selecting worldwide?  That would definitely be one reason you aren't getting much glass showing up from the countries you've mentioned.  Sellers have to choose whether their listings are going to show up worldwide or in other particular countries, and there are added listing fees.  As others point out, the items that appear in a search change depending on the ebay you search from, and there are a limited number of countries with ebay sites.  Then there's the language barrier, as Frank mentioned (though if you go to the HK site, you can search in English).

Add the cultural, economic and historical aspects, and whether British glass shows up on ebay seems a pretty poor indicator of how much of it is in a particular country.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 06:08:46 AM »
I have always been under the impression that selecting "Items located in Any Country/Region" in the Location box of an advanced search, together with "Any Sellers" in the From Sellers box, and "Any currency" in the Currency box, whatever version of eBay you are using, gives you access to every listing on eBay.   Are you telling me that I am mistaken?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
Bernard, I think that if you are doing that in the UK, using eBay UK, then you won't see auctions where the sellers have specified that they will only ship to other countries (not including the UK).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
Re. Hong Kong & Chinese searches in ebay, the situation appears quite strange. When searching for 玻璃 (boli - Glass in Chinese) from the UK ebay site, using advanced search for items in any country/ region and in any currency, brings no results. On mainland China's ebay site, eachnet.com (ebay.com.cn), no results are found for mainland China; it seems most Chinese sellers use 'Glass' in preference to 玻璃. However, searching on ebay.com.hk brings a few results. Going back to the UK ebay site and searching for 玻璃 in Hong Kong still turns up nothing, so it appears that Hong Kong is not included on UK ebay's searches, irrespective of which locations and currencies are chosen.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »
"Items located in Any Country/Region"

Does work to locate to locate sales where the seller does not ship, if looking at one of those auctions and clicking on look at sellers other auctions, brings up a seller has no listings at the present time - changing the country in the url then shows their listings.

India has a few auction sites not run by eBay and with English as the Middle Class language, most auctions are listed in English. I have found glass on those before now. But have not been glass hunting in years.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 08:52:35 PM »
I have always been under the impression that selecting "Items located in Any Country/Region" in the Location box of an advanced search, together with "Any Sellers" in the From Sellers box, and "Any currency" in the Currency box, whatever version of eBay you are using, gives you access to every listing on eBay.   Are you telling me that I am mistaken?

Bernard C.  8)

Yes, you are mistaken (as I understand it, anyway)!  Even if sellers select the option saying they will ship worldwide, their items don't automatically show up worldwide.  As I said, it's an extra option to have things appear on international ebay sites, with extra fees associated with it (though ebay.com does show items from Canada and Australia automatically).  This page explains it somewhat:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/intl-ov.html

There's a drop-down menu of the ebay sites in different countries on the ebay home page, near the bottom.

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »
If you select "located in" it will show you items where the seller does not ship to your country. I've just tried it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand