No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barovier ID and Seguso Rabbit  (Read 2770 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Barovier ID and Seguso Rabbit
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:51:11 AM »
Hi

Two items here

This vase is beautifully made with the light yellow going up to a deep red – 7” high with twelve hand moulded ribs and lovely controlled bubbles, the whole sparkles with carefully placed sheets of gold leaf – the base is carefully polished and with a concave pontil is star shaped – four folds to the top – I am thinking Barovier – any ideas

This is a lovely Rabbit or Hare, 5” high in black and gold aventurine very like Nason’s Avventurina range. This does have a clear label on ‘Archimede Seguso’ silver lettering. 1980s’s I think. Do they still make these?

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:57:32 AM »
The rabbit is a recent interpretation of the earlier Seguso pasta glass animals that I collect. These were originally made primarily in black and white, and occasionally in black and red, but none of the original production was done in black and gold to my knowledge. None were signed, but they carried the familiar scallop edged oval label from Seguso often accompanied by the circular red made in Italy label. The clear label on this was introduced I believe following Archimede Seguso's death which makes it about 6 or 7 years old at most.
If you want to see pictures of any originals, both Javier and I have examples.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
Thanks Paul

I have one or two modern Seguso animals so it would be nice to see an older one to compare with.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Here's a couple of pics from my collection:-

http://i1.tinypic.com/skx190.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/skx1g9.jpg

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
Thanks Paul

Lovely pieces - I can see the style and white/red mottling is the same as with my later rabbit. I wonder if they brought the aventurine in to compete with Nason and other companies - I may contact them ref this.

I would imagine that without the label many of these animals are being sold as (1950s LOL) V Nason Avventurina.

There is still so much confusion about the dates of V Nason Avventurina (see many reputable reference websites). I can only imagine almost identical Seguso coming onto the secondary market causing more confusion

Adam P

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Re: Barovier ID and Seguso Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »
Adam,

where you ever able to get confirmation on your vase?

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand