No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Alabastro "Crenellated" Vase?  (Read 4517 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Archimede Seguso Alabastro "Crenellated" Vase?
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:15:24 PM »
I recently acquired this large alabastro or opalino vase with milk white handles and base.  My Archimede Seguso book (Rosa Barovier) doesn't picture it, although it has certain Seguso characteristics -- pink opaline glass, "crenellated" (there's doubtless a better word for this) rim, and milk white accents.  Could anybody help me to establish identity of maker, approximate date of production and name of series to which it belongs, if any?
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Re: Archimede Seguso Alabastro "Crenellated" Vase?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:16:49 AM »
looks more like a Steuben design

Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:37:56 AM »
Interesting you'd say.  The dealer I bought it from specializes in vintage Steuben, and bought it as such.  Afterwards, he researched the heck out of it and concluded that it wasn't Steuben.  His attribution to Murano, however, isn't strong -- in talking with him, he seemed to know next to nothing Murano glass.  My alternate theory is that it is much earlier Murano, circa 1930s, based on its having less of a "Modern" look.  However, the piece really doesn't have the wear consistent with that age.  I'd assumed 1950s/1960s when I bought it.

If after a while nobody on this board can help me out, hopefully the post can be "bumped" to general glass questions.

Charles.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 05:16:37 AM »
have you considered the possibility that it might not be a big name? The top whispers "Empoli", and so do the Lattimo foot & ears.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »
It seems to be better quality than Empoli, but I could be wrong.  The vast majority of Empoli I have ever seen has a very "cheap" feel, thin glass and poor execution.  My resources in researching are the net, about 10 years collecting experience and a small library of books on Murano (general reference and few monographs).  I appreciate any answers, clues, hints or even guesses about manufacturer, country of origin and vintage; that's why I posted the pix.

Following Ivo's clue, I found this web page, showing Empoli pieces stylistically similar to mine, especially the scalloped top on the eared one near bottom.  http://www.vmglasshouse.com/empoli.htm

Thanks again,
Charles.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:51 PM »
Your glass reminds me of Stevens & Williams/Steuben rosaline vases, but the white of your vase looks more opaque and the rose shade looks darker and sleeker. I know I have seen your vase before, but I can't remember where -- I know people here can related to that. Maybe we should put this on the general glass board if no one here has any other ideas. It is definitely a gorgeous vase. I love the contrasting colors!

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
Just my 2 cents - I've seen a couple mainland Italian examples of this style and color combination, and both had swirled stems at the bottom. Not saying this is definitely not Italian, but in my eye it leaves the possibilities open...
Shannon

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:44:14 PM »
Charles, a pitcher and glasses set recently ended on ebay that made me think of your vase. the pitcher has a label which may or may not be helpful in your search. the color doesn't seem to be an exact match but cameras and monitors being what they are i thought it worth a mention anyway. the label is ribbon shaped and looks to say "MADE IN ITALY - VERITABLE OPALINE ITALIENNE" with an "LT" at the center. i don't recognize it but someone else might? item 300216717749

bidda

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 01:39:33 AM »
Good sleuthing!  Without question, it's the same manufacturer and series.  You've obviously found the answer to this riddle (albeit not the answer I was hoping for).   :-[  You win some and lose some.  Funny, though, to think it's not worth a dime!

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:21:36 AM »
sorry Charlie  :-[
i knew that the label did not suggest Seguso but i don't know the company it does reflect. do you? anybody?
even a miss can be a win if you learn something  in the process ;)

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand